Help with ID of... something?

jessezm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all -

I've had this yellow pyramid in QT for 2 and a half weeks with one other butterfly, both came in the same batch. I acclimated them days 1-3, then started prazipro just as a prophylactic and metro/focus soaked food. They've been eating well and behaving normal, but about a week ago this bump appeared on the side of one of the butterflies and seems to have been getting slightly bigger. I just changed water last night and started a new round of prazi, and added kanaplex to the food along with metro and focus.

is this Lympho maybe? It doesn't look like ich to me, and there are no signs of anything similar or any ich or flashing with the other fish. no flashing with either fish that I've seen.

Any help would be much appreciated! Sorry for the poor picture quality...

IMG_5270.JPG
IMG_5273.JPG
IMG_5275.JPG
IMG_5276.JPG

OP
OP
jessezm

jessezm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah I will try again tonight. The pics looked much clearer on my phone! It's like a bump under the skin, kind of like a pimple trying to break through maybe?

OCD_Corals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the fish reacting to it. Does it scratch against the bottom or rocks trying to get it off?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is an odd place for lymph, too large for ich or most other external parasites. I am guessing it's an injury or an infection (or both). Is it red at all?

A clearer photo would help, as mentioned.

Any tankmates capable of doing that? (Tangs for example)

OP
OP
jessezm

jessezm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is an odd place for lymph, too large for ich or most other external parasites. I am guessing it's an injury or an infection (or both). Is it red at all?

A clearer photo would help, as mentioned.

Any tankmates capable of doing that? (Tangs for example)

He's just in a QT with his brother/sister (?) - no aggression at all between them. Not sure how he would have gotten the injury but it's certainly possible. There are only PVC pipes in there for hiding.

It is more white, but does look a little darker in the middle. I will try and get a much clearer pic later on tonight or tomorrow.

OP
OP
jessezm

jessezm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pyramid butterfly in QT last year that developed an infection that started out looking similar to this one, but higher up towards the fin. No other fish in QT had it but it unfortunately worsened, then turned into a hole in the top of the fish. It was almost like a flesh-eating infection or something. It was really hard to watch.

If this is a bacterial or some other kind of infection, what is the best course of action?

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would treat for bacterial. Since he is eating like normal I would add kanaplex and furan combined with focus to bind it with the frozen food and feed for 2 weeks.

OP
OP
jessezm

jessezm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay folks here is a better pick. There does appear to be a reddish hue to the bump. But the skin doesn't seem to be broken
IMG_5278.JPG

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That actually doesn’t look infected to me. I’d leave it alone if it worsens though I’d suggest having kanaplex, metroplex, and furan 2 on hand to treat for 14 days. It takes a while to act so as soon as you’re sure it’s worsening I’d treat.

When mixing meds, it’s best to have an air stone and a powerhead breaking the surface as it can create low oxygen environments.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 116 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back