Help with ID on a worm/nudibranch (?)

StarkEnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found two of these guys on an elegance coral I'm rescuing and would like some help on ID.

ld4rycg.jpeg
OVYxA28.jpeg

My LFS had an elegance that hadn't really opened up for about six months. He had it for a year and it did great, and then he said one day it decided not to open up, and its been angry for six months since. He said its still alive and hasn't started dying, but just doesn't want to open up. Said he'd sell it to me for $10 bucks so I figured I'd try to see what I can do (skeleton is like 2-3in across so its a steal if I can get it happy).

Did a coral dip and everything, and it honestly seems to be pretty happy. However, I did manage to snag two of these reaaaaally small worm/nudibranch looking things and was wondering if they were anything to worry about. I haven't seen any others, but I caught the second one when it was leaving my elegance.

Any help is appreciated!

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found two of these guys on an elegance coral I'm rescuing and would like some help on ID.

ld4rycg.jpeg
OVYxA28.jpeg

My LFS had an elegance that hadn't really opened up for about six months. He had it for a year and it did great, and then he said one day it decided not to open up, and its been angry for six months since. He said its still alive and hasn't started dying, but just doesn't want to open up. Said he'd sell it to me for $10 bucks so I figured I'd try to see what I can do (skeleton is like 2-3in across so its a steal if I can get it happy).

Did a coral dip and everything, and it honestly seems to be pretty happy. However, I did manage to snag two of these reaaaaally small worm/nudibranch looking things and was wondering if they were anything to worry about. I haven't seen any others, but I caught the second one when it was leaving my elegance.

Any help is appreciated!
Trying to decide between bobbit or Medusa worm., but leaning towards bobbit. Neither is good so chuck em.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Polychaete or eunicid worm

OP
OP
S

StarkEnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to decide between bobbit or Medusa worm., but leaning towards bobbit. Neither is good so chuck em.

Cool. Was planning on chucking them regardless. Appreciate the help.

Doesn't look like this one, unless it changes dramatically when it gets larger. Thanks for taking a look.

Honestly, they're so small that what you can see in the picture is the best view I've seen. To the naked eye you can barely make anything out because they are so small.

SHNICI

Well-Known Member and Coral Cabin owner
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool. Was planning on chucking them regardless. Appreciate the help.

Doesn't look like this one, unless it changes dramatically when it gets larger. Thanks for taking a look.

Honestly, they're so small that what you can see in the picture is the best view I've seen. To the naked eye you can barely make anything out because they are so small.
And how small it is ? Because few SP of this which I say are really good to have as a CUC, but can't match it to the Bobbit's, which are really bad worms.and it don\t look like the medusa as well, the parapodia are a bit different, I'll bet on Myrianida SP, and some/most of the SP are good for the tank to have, they eat hydroids and some dad bryopsis .

OP
OP
S

StarkEnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And how small it is ? Because few SP of this which I say are really good to have as a CUC, but can't match it to the Bobbit's, which are really bad worms.and it don\t look like the medusa as well, the parapodia are a bit different, I'll bet on Myrianida SP, and some/most of the SP are good for the tank to have, they eat hydroids and some dad bryopsis .

Interesting. I threw them out, but the bigger one (which was quite bigger) was maybe a half-inch long and 1mm at its widest.

If you think that its Myrianida based on the picture, I am inclined to agree with you. I don't know nearly as much as you seem to, so I think your instinct is correct.

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @Crabs McJones can;t find the particular one, and not everything is in to the images :)

Interesting. I threw them out, but the bigger one (which was quite bigger) was maybe a half-inch long and 1mm at its widest.

If you think that its Myrianida based on the picture, I am inclined to agree with you. I don't know nearly as much as you seem to, so I think your instinct is correct.

Sorry Mate, can't help more, and My database is limited, and can't find anything else.

P.S. that was ODD, I accidently found it, after few hours searching, because I say it can be good one, so It's something which recently discovered at all (2015) in Cayman. And actually they report the worm is "coral predator that feeds on the reefs"
The worm is Proceraea janetae , few other: LINK , Taxon details, about . Feed on corals. From all what I read and found you have to carefully observe your corals, because it can hide and digest IN them (entering from the coral mouth). Not sure is it depositing EGGS inside (like the sea spiders in the zoanthids). Can be in the substrate if you have near the corals.

OP
OP
S

StarkEnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @Crabs McJones can;t find the particular one, and not everything is in to the images :)

Sorry Mate, can't help more, and My database is limited, and can't find anything else.

P.S. that was ODD, I accidently found it, after few hours searching, because I say it can be good one, so It's something which recently discovered at all (2015) in Cayman. And actually they report the worm is "coral predator that feeds on the reefs"
The worm is Proceraea janetae , few other: LINK , Taxon details, about . Feed on corals. From all what I read and found you have to carefully observe your corals, because it can hide and digest IN them (entering from the coral mouth). Not sure is it depositing EGGS inside (like the sea spiders in the zoanthids). Can be in the substrate if you have near the corals.

Wow phenomenal work, thank you so much for finding this. I will definitely be sure to keep an eye on the elegance and all my other corals. Thankfully, I've been watching closely since its a recovering coral and I haven't noticed any other worms. But will be keeping an eye out in case of eggs.

Could the worm have survived the coral dip by hiding out inside the corals stomach? Interestingly, one of the mouths of the elegance had extruded its stomach once I placed it in my tank. The stomach has slowly retracted into the coral over a few days, but I wonder if it spit itself out because of the worms.

Thanks again for all the help!

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow phenomenal work, thank you so much for finding this. I will definitely be sure to keep an eye on the elegance and all my other corals. Thankfully, I've been watching closely since its a recovering coral and I haven't noticed any other worms. But will be keeping an eye out in case of eggs.

Could the worm have survived the coral dip by hiding out inside the corals stomach? Interestingly, one of the mouths of the elegance had extruded its stomach once I placed it in my tank. The stomach has slowly retracted into the coral over a few days, but I wonder if it spit itself out because of the worms.

Thanks again for all the help!
Yes, if the worm is into the coral stomach it will survive the DIP. but where it deposit the eggs I don't know. or is splitting (I don't read/found how it reproduce, having the exact name, probably you can find more info). About the elegance..., can be because of the worm, can be for another reason (they can do that like the mushrooms when they are stressed really much). So, can't confirm about it.
Is that the last you introduce to your tank ? (if you want/can research and ask your LFS where that coral come from, probably that can tell us more :)

Jacinto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Encontré a dos de estos tipos en un coral elegante que estoy rescatando y me gustaría recibir ayuda para identificarlo.

ld4rycg.jpeg
OVYxA28.jpeg

Mi LFS tenía una elegancia que no se había abierto durante unos seis meses. Lo tuvo durante un año y le fue muy bien, y luego dijo que un día decidió no abrirse, y ha estado enojado durante seis meses desde entonces. Dijo que todavía está vivo y que no ha comenzado a morir, pero que simplemente no quiere abrirse. Dijo que me lo vendería por $10 dólares, así que pensé en intentar ver qué puedo hacer (el esqueleto mide entre 2 y 3 pulgadas de ancho, así que es una ganga si puedo hacerlo feliz).

Se dio un baño de coral y todo y, sinceramente, parece estar bastante feliz. Sin embargo, logré atrapar dos de estos gusanos/nudibranquios realmente pequeños y me preguntaba si había algo de qué preocuparme. No he visto ningún otro, pero al segundo lo pillé cuando salía de mi elegancia.

¡Cualquier ayuda es apreciada!
633 Romblon Día 1 30 Extraño Nudi.jpg
ejemplar que cuadra perfectamente con el indicado en su post. Yo también quisiera indentificarlo, al parecer no es un nudibranquio simo un gusano (posiblemente policleto o un Syllid worm) si tienes información sobre la identidad de esta especie me gustaria conocerla. gracias

Jacinto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
En Romblon (Filipinas) encontré este ejemplar que cuadra perfectamente con el indicado en su post. Yo también quisiera identificarlo, al parecer no es un nudibranquio simo un gusano (posiblemente policleto o un Syllid worm) si tienes información sobre la identidad de esta especie me gustaria conocerla. gracias
633 Romblon Day 1 30 Extraño Nudi.jpg

Back