Help with ID

YMRreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I am new to saltwater tanks and have been looking through other Pest ID posts but I am not confident as to what this is... any help with the ID is much appreciated! Thank you in advance... you guys on this site rock!

IMG_2523.jpeg

OP
OP
YMRreefer

YMRreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like pineapple sponge

Ah yes! After searching pineapple sponge on R2R - it does look like it! Thank you very much!

Seems like it isn't a bad thing (good filter feeder)? It's a very new tank, bare bottom, so it's been a slow and tedious process. This is definitely a difficult hobby to get in to and not be stressed about every new thing that pops up :p

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah yes! After searching pineapple sponge on R2R - it does look like it! Thank you very much!

Seems like it isn't a bad thing (good filter feeder)? It's a very new tank, bare bottom, so it's been a slow and tedious process. This is definitely a difficult hobby to get in to and not be stressed about every new thing that pops up :p
Just do the research and be amazed by the biodiversity of a healthy tank; good luck

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Oh yeah. Just the other day I was freaking out because I saw my Emerald Crab picking at my Blastomussa Merletti, but then I took a closer look and realized that, rather than pickin GB off and eating the fleah of the coral, she was just ppking it to get it to close up so she could get in between the polyps to get some algae and detritus around the base of the coral.

Also is that a Blue Hole Bowernanki? Or are my eyes deceiving me?

OP
OP
YMRreefer

YMRreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just do the research and be amazed by the biodiversity of a healthy tank; good luck

Thanks! It's been a huge learning curve for sure. My husband bought the tank (on a whim) and has had tanks before, but this is my first after only having had a small freshwater tank. It is so much to learn but super awesome. I appreciate the help from everyone on this site :)

OP
OP
YMRreefer

YMRreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah. Just the other day I was freaking out because I saw my Emerald Crab picking at my Blastomussa Merletti, but then I took a closer look and realized that, rather than pickin GB off and eating the fleah of the coral, she was just ppking it to get it to close up so she could get in between the polyps to get some algae and detritus around the base of the coral.

Also is that a Blue Hole Bowernanki? Or are my eyes deceiving me?

Hahaha I completely sympathize with you! I am learning to not be stressed about every little thing. It is not a bowebanki- but looks like one! It's actually a Grapevine aussie lord. Normally it's completely out and huge but I was prodding the little guy trying to get a picture of the "pest" or so I thought :p

I know the algae is bad, but new tanks and dry rock are fun...so we are waiting on the coralline. Oh the ugly phase...

IMG_3847.jpg

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahaha I completely sympathize with you! I am learning to not be stressed about every little thing. It is not a bowebanki- but looks like one! It's actually a Grapevine aussie lord. Normally it's completely out and huge but I was prodding the little guy trying to get a picture of the "pest" or so I thought :p

I know the algae is bad, but new tanks and dry rock are fun...so we are waiting on the coralline. Oh the ugly phase...

IMG_3847.jpg
I see. I myself have three aussie lords with a Blue Hole Bowerbanki next to them. And yeah, my larger aussie lords (no idea what specifically they are. They were both freebies...also one was a more dark orange at first and the other was bright red at first...now one is light orange and the other...yelowgreen..ish..). The larger head on my Frosted Forest aussie lord (the one right above the bowerbanki) also sometimes inflates pretty large, but not yet to the size of the other two.
20191118_080749.jpg

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back