Help with Id

AJ192

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
I just found a hitch hiker from my live rock after it has been in weeks. I’m pretty sure it’s from the Florida Carribean area because I got the rock from Kp Aquatics. I saw it taking a stroll on the sand bed and I need help on an Id and deciding wether to keep it or not.

Here are photos I took, these are under whites so color is true to life. I’m trying to get better ones but it doesn’t want to come near the front of the tank.

E698DF2D-27B6-44E5-8187-6227F5B1A18A.jpeg D490761A-B39F-4166-9229-8BA5D8257FBC.jpeg

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id take any coral you can out and dip them chances are its eating something just not enough to be noticed yet. It will lay a ton of eggs and be alot harder to get out if you wait and see. Looks alot like the nudi I caught munching palys in my tank

OP
OP
A

AJ192

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id take any coral you can out and dip them chances are its eating something just not enough to be noticed yet. It will lay a ton of eggs and be alot harder to get out if you wait and see. Looks alot like the nudi I caught munching palys in my tank
Why should I dip the coral? And if I can find it again how should I kill it?

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Why should I dip the coral? And if I can find it again how should I kill it?
I can confirm that this nudi is neither a zoa or montipora eating nudibranch but when I had both of those types, I would pick them off and either flush them down the sink drain or toilet. Not sure if this is the correct way to deal with them but they never came back! lol

OP
OP
A

AJ192

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can confirm that this nudi is neither a zoa or montipora eating nudibranch but when I had both of those types, I would pick them off and either flush them down the sink drain or toilet. Not sure if this is the correct way to deal with them but they never came back! lol
Ok thank you for the reply, it might have to stay in the system cause idk if I’ll ever be able to find it but as long as it won’t eat my coral it’s fine

afishbestservedcold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what its worth, I went to an LFS id never been to before last week, excellent spot, and they had a chromodoris willani that the lady swore had been alive in this 5g store tank for over 6 months and eating algae (they are supposedly obligate sponge eaters).

Its a cool looking nudi and they dont all eat corals, maybe you lucked out.

OP
OP
A

AJ192

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what its worth, I went to an LFS id never been to before last week, excellent spot, and they had a chromodoris willani that the lady swore had been alive in this 5g store tank for over 6 months and eating algae (they are supposedly obligate sponge eaters).

Its a cool looking nudi and they dont all eat corals, maybe you lucked out.

Maybe but I worry that it might be saying if it is bad I’m already f$&@:d cause it’s been in their about a month now. And it’s in a big tank so idk if I’ll ever see it again.

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe but I worry that it might be saying if it is bad I’m already f$&@:d cause it’s been in their about a month now. And it’s in a big tank so idk if I’ll ever see it again.
If it is a bad one your not screwed it wont go that far from whatever they eat I have a 6 foot 150 gallon and I got rid of the ones I was dealing with. But like the other poster said some aren't bad and they're beautiful.

OP
OP
A

AJ192

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is a bad one your not screwed it wont go that far from whatever they eat I have a 6 foot 150 gallon and I got rid of the ones I was dealing with. But like the other poster said some aren't bad and they're beautiful.
Yeah mines in 5 foot 150 and I watched it roam the entire tank. It is gorgeous but Idk at the moment

afishbestservedcold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

also totally an option lol. It probably wont live that long regardless, but if it hasnt been eating the corals you do have thats a good sign?

OP
OP
A

AJ192

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’m going to remove it cause this tanks gonna be acro dominated and it’s not worth the risk or hassle. My montipora digitata is also either being eaten or fairly closed up for an unrelated reason cause like 10 polyps are retracted. Now I just have to find it.

king aiptasia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just wait it out, nudibranch are like caterpillars and they don't go far from whatever they eat

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 112 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back