Help with Identification and Eradication

GGkubs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone help identify this invasive species and suggest how to get rid of it? This has taken over much of my 180 g tank. Initially I thought it was pulsing Xenia since that was the only thing I intentionally put in my tank which is known to be this invasive. However, it really doesn't look like any Xenia I am familiar with. Next (and more important question), how do I get rid of it??

DSC_0190.jpg
DSC_0193.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Can anyone help identify this invasive species and suggest how to get rid of it? This has taken over much of my 180 g tank. Initially I thought it was pulsing Xenia since that was the only thing I intentionally put in my tank which is known to be this invasive. However, it really doesn't look like any Xenia I am familiar with. Next (and more important question), how do I get rid of it??

DSC_0190.jpg
DSC_0193.jpg
These are aptasia anemone and are considered tank pests as they both sting coral and multiply rapidly
Easiest method if you have 20 or less is to take a small bottle or pill bottle and mix kalkwasser powder with tank water into a paste the consistency of toothpaste and inject into the very center core with syringe or pipette and they will melt before your eyes
You can also inject with boiling water or lemon juice but kalkwasser paste works the best
If an infestation, I have a blue face Kleini butterfly that eats them like candy. Don’t get yellow kleini which nips on coral
With kleini- after aptasia gone, they eat all dry and frozen fish foods- not coral

Blue:

1650045740212.png

Not this yellow one:

1650045789429.png

Last edited:

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try going to a local fish store and see if they have a berghia nudibranch you can buy. The store I go to in St. Louis breeds them. They'll eat every one they can find and then you can usually return them to the store so they don't starve.

OP
OP
G

GGkubs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to all for your quick and helpful responses. I have started test treatments with lemon juice with some initial sucess. I will be looking for some of the pepermint shrimp and/or nudibranchs to act as maintenance workers. Are these shrimp going to coexits with my existing CUP and coral banded shrimp and pistol shrimp? Also, is my long-nose Hawkfish likely to eat the nudibranchs?

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also worth a shot are green aiptasia eating filefish. They will eat the smaller ones. Keep an eye on them though as they can nip corals.

\m/reefsnmetal\m/

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to all for your quick and helpful responses. I have started test treatments with lemon juice with some initial sucess. I will be looking for some of the pepermint shrimp and/or nudibranchs to act as maintenance workers. Are these shrimp going to coexits with my existing CUP and coral banded shrimp and pistol shrimp? Also, is my long-nose Hawkfish likely to eat the nudibranchs?
The shrimp will be fine with how big your tank is. I have two peppermints that eradicated my aptasia. They coexist with my pistols, coral banded, and cleaner shrimp.

leroytigerjohnson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are aptasia anemone and are considered tank pests as they both sting coral and multiply rapidly
Easiest method if you have 20 or less is to take a small bottle or pill bottle and mix kalkwasser powder with tank water into a paste the consistency of toothpaste and inject into the very center core with syringe or pipette and they will melt before your eyes
You can also inject with boiling water or lemon juice but kalkwasser paste works the best
If an infestation, I have a blue face Kleini butterfly that eats them like candy. Don’t get yellow kleini which nips on coral
With kleini- after aptasia gone, they eat all dry and frozen fish foods- not coral

Blue:

1650045740212.png

Not this yellow one:

1650045789429.png
100% agree with injecting them with think milky kalkwasser.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Filefish can and may go after coral once aptasia are gone

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back