Help with Identity

Spdjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New Aquarium just past 2 months and these are starting to pop up can someone tell me what I am seeing
+Jtdd5pdSE6TGgOf9cgmaw.jpg

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which organism are you asking about? The likely spirobid worms everywhere in the picture or the central organism with pedals/tentacles? If it's the latter, do you have any other photos such as ones taken from a different angle or with only white lights?

OP
OP
Spdjnky

Spdjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which organism are you asking about? The likely spirobid worms everywhere in the picture or the central organism with pedals/tentacles? If it's the latter, do you have any other photos such as ones taken from a different angle or with only white lights?

fullsizeoutput_2a25.jpeg This is the best I can do right now can try later to get a better pic with lights on. The ugly stage is getting going here's some more unwanted algea

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Right now my differential is pretty wide- including a few corals and a couple anemones, including a pest anemone, so I don't want to lead you astray. When you say they are popping up, what's a rough estimate of how many you see (e.g a few, a dozen, or a whole lot of them)?

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to confirm, I'm assuming they are hard? If you were to apply pressure, they would snap?

Have you seen any "strings" coming out of any of them?

OP
OP
Spdjnky

Spdjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think this is good but it could have been worse because I was getting ready to put new corals in think that plan is on hold right now

OP
OP
Spdjnky

Spdjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The good part is that they are only on the rocks that are seperate from the main structure and I will be taking them out and into another aquarium. Now all I have to do is figure out how to get rid of them.

fullsizeoutput_2a30.jpeg

OP
OP
Spdjnky

Spdjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just took all the rocks with the corals on them that showed whatever is growing all over them. I don't think they have migrated to the other rock yet that's why I took them out.
Here are pictures can someone help me with what to do. I'm thinking that I might be better trying to salvage the corals and get rid of the rock but I really
don't know what to do.

ReefLab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are definitely vermetid snails. The only real way to get rid of them is manual removal. You can try squirting superglue onto them or snapping them off the rocks. Ive heard that bumblebee snails may get rid of them but they'll eat all your other snails as well (probably first).

The good news is they are just ugly and don't particularly harm corals.

OP
OP
Spdjnky

Spdjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The good part is that they are only on the rocks that are seperate from the main structure and I will be taking them out and into another aquarium. Now all I have to do is figure out how to get rid of them.

fullsizeoutput_2a30.jpeg
they were on separate rocks that I have now taking out and there in a separate tank not sure what I'm going to do here's some pictures of the rocks now

Back