Help with Lighting for my hydroponic-style propagation tank!

Brian Goldstein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reefers-

I am venturing into propagation and will be setting up a simple hydroponic-style frag tank. The dimensions of the tray will be 24" x 48" x 7". (roughly 30 gal of water)

I am set on using solely T5's at the moment, but may decide on a T5/LED hybrid set up in the future. I also plan on growing low-medium light corals for now (mostly zoas ,LPS).

Would you recommend a 6 bulb or 8 bulb fixture? and 36" or 48" in length.

Any particular ATI bulbs you like running or that have made a noticeable difference in color/growth compared to others? reflectors necessary? Would be happy to hear all of your opinions and advice.

Thanks so much!

-BG

slayerhellfire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 bulb ATI blue plus, reefbrite strip. 7 inches water depth figuring your frags will be on a rack as well so subtract a few inches from that what you listed is overkill with light . Is that 48 long? Go with a light that will cover it that. I use a 2 bulb ATI blue plus, and a reefbrite strip all zoas on a 50 Rubbermaid stock tank pleanty of light.

OP
OP
Brian Goldstein

Brian Goldstein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. Yes, it’s 4ft long, 2ft wide. You really think a 2 bulb fixture will be enough light ?

Best,
BG

OP
OP
Brian Goldstein

Brian Goldstein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 bulb ATI blue plus, reefbrite strip. 7 inches water depth figuring your frags will be on a rack as well so subtract a few inches from that what you listed is overkill with light . Is that 48 long? Go with a light that will cover it that. I use a 2 bulb ATI blue plus, and a reefbrite strip all zoas on a 50 Rubbermaid stock tank pleanty of light.

Thanks for the reply. Do you really think a 2 bulb fixture will be enough light ?

Best,

BG

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you trying to grow?
There is a huge difference in light demand between some mushrooms and some acropora

OP
OP
Brian Goldstein

Brian Goldstein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you trying to grow?
There is a huge difference in light demand between some mushrooms and some acropora

I will mostly be growing lps and zoas, but would like to leave the option of growing some lower light sps as well

Thanks,

-BG

OP
OP
Brian Goldstein

Brian Goldstein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am familiar with lighting requirements for corals, but I've only used LEDs in my reefing career, so I am not familiar with output ratios of T5's.

Some people recommend a 4-6 bulb fixture, where others (like yourself) have said 2 bulbs will suffice.

-BG

slayerhellfire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah I mean do what you want but zoas do not require such high lighting, many people use straight up blue reefbrite strips to light frag tanks as well. If it's just zoas and shrooms, my frag tank is all zoas, shrooms, will be putting a nem basket in there as well, and I have a rainbow acan that is thriving under just the 2 bulb and reefbrite.

OP
OP
Brian Goldstein

Brian Goldstein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah I mean do what you want but zoas do not require such high lighting, many people use straight up blue reefbrite strips to light frag tanks as well. If it's just zoas and shrooms, my frag tank is all zoas, shrooms, will be putting a nem basket in there as well, and I have a rainbow acan that is thriving under just the 2 bulb and reefbrite.

I will not be growing solely zoas and mushrooms... Will be growing a lot of LPS (euphyllia, acans, chalices , etc) and possibly even lower light SPS in the near future.

-BG

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d go for a 4 bulb. For T5s I load up on BluePlus. If you want some more white (outside of the green peak on a B+) either a PurplePlus or an AquaBlue.

OP
OP
Brian Goldstein

Brian Goldstein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d go for a 4 bulb. For T5s I load up on BluePlus. If you want some more white (outside of the green peak on a B+) either a PurplePlus or an AquaBlue.

Thanks for the advice. Will definitely be doing a 4 bulb fixture, just haven't decided on the assortment of bulbs.. I really like BluePlus and Coral plus, so maybe 2 of each?

-BG

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back