Help with logistics of QT and tank restart

rueric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I am currently in the process of restarting my tank due to a vermetid snail outbreak as I wanted to gear up for Corals.
I set up my temporary tank (TT) with BioSpira, a HOB filter, heater, and a small powerhead.
I've moved all of my live stock (minus snails) out of my DT into TT yesterday:
2x clowns
1x baby blue tang
1x tuxedo urchin
1x cleaner shrimp
I left the remaining snails/hermits in my DT as I did not decide if I want to potentially bring in vermetids on them as well.

The tang is showing signs of ich - flashing, white spots, scratching but still appears healthy with an appetite
I suspect I've had ich in my DT and the stress of the move to the TT has lowered his immune system.

Right now, I'm trying to decide the best course of action and determine the time table for when I can finally get everything situated.

My goals:
Eradicate ich
Eradicate vermetid snails

Proposed Approach:
1. Clean out DT + equipment with Bleach/Vinegar (1 Week)
2. Cycle with Dry-rock/Biospira/Special Grade sand (1 Week)
3. Transfer Shrimp + Tuxedo urchin to DT and let it stay FALLOW (45 days)
4. Add Copper and follow QT (Copper + Praziquantel) process (62 days)

Questions:
1. Am I missing anything from this process?
2. Any way to save my hermit crabs/snails?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1. You said clean out with bleach/vinegar. Never use them together. I would also not use one after the other.
2. If you're using dry rock, etc - why would you want/need to go fallow for 45 days? In case come CI is on your shrimp shell?
3. If you're wanting to do fallow, take your snails, etc that you want to save (everything but fish) - and put it in the 'new' (Display) tank
4. I don't know if this will eliminate vermatid snails. They tend to show up with everything
5. I don't think you need to bleach/vinegar things for a week. Overnight should be enough.
6. assume you're adding copper to the TT not the DT.

OP
OP
R

rueric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Correct, I did not mean to use both at the same time.
I was planning to mix vinegar + tap water and run it in the system for 3 days
Scrub all coraline algae, vermetid spikes off
Apply bleach and do another rinse around the tank
Vinegar + tap water and run it for another day
Maybe overkill? Why not use one after the other?

2. Yes, FALLOW since my two fishes would be in QT anyway for 62 days.. but since I won't want to introduce anything new to the tank without proper QT, it will remain FALLOW. I would perhaps like to start adding easy corals to the tank preferably the sooner the better.

3. I'm scared of reintroducing my display tank with Vermetid snails.. there are some snails that have vermetid snails on the shells already, those I will not be bringing in.. but there are ones that don't have signs of any.. I just don't know if it's worth the risk?

6. Yes, copper to the TT not the DT

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1. Correct, I did not mean to use both at the same time.
I was planning to mix vinegar + tap water and run it in the system for 3 days
Scrub all coraline algae, vermetid spikes off
Apply bleach and do another rinse around the tank
Vinegar + tap water and run it for another day
Maybe overkill? Why not use one after the other?

2. Yes, FALLOW since my two fishes would be in QT anyway for 62 days.. but since I won't want to introduce anything new to the tank without proper QT, it will remain FALLOW. I would perhaps like to start adding easy corals to the tank preferably the sooner the better.

3. I'm scared of reintroducing my display tank with Vermetid snails.. there are some snails that have vermetid snails on the shells already, those I will not be bringing in.. but there are ones that don't have signs of any.. I just don't know if it's worth the risk?

6. Yes, copper to the TT not the DT
If you're trying to get rid of corralline the vinegar makes sense. If you're trying to 'sterilize' the tank - bleach makes sense. Just not together :)

OP
OP
R

rueric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're trying to get rid of corralline the vinegar makes sense. If you're trying to 'sterilize' the tank - bleach makes sense. Just not together :)
Won’t bleach kill the corralline algae?
The vinegar is also going to be used to help me clean off the vermetid snail shells since it’s a calcium carbonate structure

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The vinegar is also going to be used to help me clean off the vermetid snail shells since it’s a calcium carbonate structure
Both will kill the coralline algae. The vinegar will help 'remove' it. IMHO - the vinegar will work the same way - to remove the coralline algae. I was under the impression that you wanted to remove it.

OP
OP
R

rueric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to adding one more fish, a sand sifting goby.. to my QT before I start my copper treatment.. yay or nay?

I don't plan to introduce anymore fish into my system after this so I'm hoping I can get it all done in one shot..

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Vinegar will also kill the corralline algae. Vinegar will also help 'clean the corralline' off - bleach imo - will turn it white

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back