Help with mushroom coral!

Meowwwwmix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh hai! I got a rock with a few mushrooms on it right after my tank was cycled, they were all looking super happy, until I moved them a few days ago and started looking like something was growing under them, today I pulled the rock out when I got home to look closer, and snapped a pic, is this brown jelly? I kinda poked it with a Turkey baster and it seemed attached to the mushroom, also the pic they were less shrivelled before I took them out of the tank and poked them
Tank info:
Evo 13.5
month and a half old, been cycled for about 3 weeks, do 3 gallon water changes weekly instant ocean salt, with pump and heater to mix for 24 hours
Parameters:
8.2 ph
Salinity 1.024
Alk-8dkh
Calcium-350
Magnesium 1300
Ammonia/nitrite 0
Nitrate 2

Only other coral I have at the moment is a gsp, it's doing fine
Any advice appreciated!
20210411_172024.jpg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi welcome to the reef ,looks like an algae to me?

OP
OP
M

Meowwwwmix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I originally thought, the black stuff is hard not sure what that is either, the brown stuff is attached to the bottom of the mushroom heads, when I took it out and poked it and sprayed water on it with the Turkey baster it stayed attached to the rock and bottom of the mushroom, I scraped a bit off the rock, but it made the mushroom shrivel more, stay with the brown stuff and throw its white stuff out of its mouth, so I didnt wanna mess with it more. if it's a type of algae is there anything I can do? The mushrooms have been staying tiny and angry for a few days now, I did move it to a higher flow area though

Brady4000

I just wanted a Mantis Shrimp.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1

If your talking below the mushroom, that just looks like the bottom of the mushroom, which is normal. These things are really indestructible. I would be surprised if you could kill it lol.

My buddy wanted one of my hairy mushrooms. So I cut it off the rock. The piece that was left, grew another mushroom.

Some people put these things in a blender and toss the specs into the tank to grow a lot of mushrooms lol... if that doesn’t say indestructible, I don’t know what dose.

OP
OP
M

Meowwwwmix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1

If your talking below the mushroom, that just looks like the bottom of the mushroom, which is normal. These things are really indestructible. I would be surprised if you could kill it lol.

My buddy wanted one of my hairy mushrooms. So I cut it off the rock. The piece that was left, grew another mushroom.

Some people put these things in a blender and toss the specs into the tank to grow a lot of mushrooms lol... if that doesn’t say indestructible, I don’t know what dose.
Awkward, yeah directly below the mushroom, they were super happy, so I never noticed the brown stuff was actually part of the mushroom, thanks for you help, I'm clearly new

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I originally thought, the black stuff is hard not sure what that is either, the brown stuff is attached to the bottom of the mushroom heads, when I took it out and poked it and sprayed water on it with the Turkey baster it stayed attached to the rock and bottom of the mushroom, I scraped a bit off the rock, but it made the mushroom shrivel more, stay with the brown stuff and throw its white stuff out of its mouth, so I didnt wanna mess with it more. if it's a type of algae is there anything I can do? The mushrooms have been staying tiny and angry for a few days now, I did move it to a higher flow area though
The white stuff is the mushroom “spitting up its guts”. From getting agitated. Just leave them be, and they will be fine.

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awkward, yeah directly below the mushroom, they were super happy, so I never noticed the brown stuff was actually part of the mushroom, thanks for you help, I'm clearly new
No worries, I myself was brand new 5 month ago. But I enjoy playing with my tank and researching all day, you’ll get it.

Also just because the mushroom, shrivels up from time to time, doesn’t necessarily mean it’s having a hard time. They do that, hermit walks on them, food falls on them and they are trying to shove it in their mushroom mouths lol, etc.

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also one last thing, mushrooms can live in high flow areas just fine. But they won’t get big and happy as they would in low flow.

Same thing with light, high light will make it retract, medium light will make it spread out more.

So if it you want them big and fat, low flow medium to low light. I have one in high flow because I just want it there, it’s making more mushrooms, but isn’t as spread out as it would be.
I did move it to a higher flow area though

OP
OP
M

Meowwwwmix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also one last thing, mushrooms can live in high flow areas just fine. But they won’t get big and happy as they would in low flow.

Same thing with light, high light will make it retract, medium light will make it spread out more.

So if it you want them big and fat, low flow medium to low light. I have one in high flow because I just want it there, it’s making more mushrooms, but isn’t as spread out as it would be.
Your amazing! I think that actually may have been what made them so angry in the first place, I moved my gsp where the mushroom was and looks like that was actually the higher flow area, dozens of hours reading and creeping forums before I bought a tank and I'm still so clueless, trying to keep gsp contained on its mini rock, as well as the mushrooms so they dont spread like crazy over my main rock area, but trying to find places they look okay and are happy seems to be the hardest part so far

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back