Help with my blondie Zoas

Jwill1316

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all wondering if I could get some help. I puRchased some Blondie zoas over two weeks ago. All my other Zoas are opening fully but no matter where I put these blondies I cant get them to open up fully. Ive though of putting them in higher flow area. Right now they are in a low light low flow are which is what all my zoas are currently in. I run 4 28 inch t5s. 2 blue pluses 1 purple plus and 1 coral plus. Also run a 250 watt Hamiltion 14k halide bulb.
20230207_124936.jpg
Tank params are as follows
Ph 7.97 to 8.15
Mag 1398
Cal 476
Alk 8.0 to 8.1
Nitrates 0
Phos 0
Salinty 1.025
Yes i know phos and nitrates are on the low side im currently feeding heavy and this is a new tank only 4 months old so have been fighting through the ugly stages. I know there are phosphates but being sucked up by algea. I am running a fugium and protien skimmer. run run

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all wondering if I could get some help. I puRchased some Blondie zoas over two weeks ago. All my other Zoas are opening fully but no matter where I put these blondies I cant get them to open up fully. Ive though of putting them in higher flow area. Right now they are in a low light low flow are which is what all my zoas are currently in. I run 4 28 inch t5s. 2 blue pluses 1 purple plus and 1 coral plus. Also run a 250 watt Hamiltion 14k halide bulb.
20230207_124936.jpg
Ph 7.97 to 8.15
Mag 1398
Cal 476
Alk 8.0 to 8.1
Nitrates 0
Phos 0
Salinty 1.025
Yes i know phos and nitrates are on the low side im currently feeding heavy and this is a new tank only 4 months old so have been fighting through the ugly stages. I know there are phosphates but being sucked up by algea. I am running a fugium and protien skimmer. run run
maybe the flow is too high in the spot where it is.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious how people judge flow at different spots in their tank (since flow dynamics don't seem to act as expected just based on which pumps are where, to me anyway).

Inadvertently messed up my flow with HOB equipment change and now my zoas are all closed.

Been trying to use strands of dental floss (tied to straw) to figure out what's happening where but not really sure what I'm looking for around zoas since I never had an issue before.
*not my thread but expert responses MAY be of use here, possibly

Vagabond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
20230207_124936.jpg
Ph 7.97 to 8.15
Mag 1398
Cal 476
Alk 8.0 to 8.1
Nitrates 0
Phos 0
Salinty 1.025
Sometimes zoa's do what they do for no reason.Be patient and just let them be.I have a small zoa garden and all could be opened and happy one day and the next day some colonies all close up for days.

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
When I bought my first zoas, for the first month or so I thought my tank had crazy good zoa growth. New polyps popping up every other day!

Little did I know, that zoas sometimes need a little bit of time to open up. :face-with-tears-of-joy:

OP
OP
J

Jwill1316

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes zoa's do what they do for no reason.Be patient and just let them be.I have a small zoa garden and all could be opened and happy one day and the next day some colonies all close up for days.
i understand and just didn't wanna jump to any conclusions or keep trying to move them when there isnt a need to Patience is key I guess lolol

OP
OP
J

Jwill1316

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I bought my first zoas, for the first month or so I thought my tank had crazy good zoa growth. New polyps popping up every other day!

Little did I know, that zoas sometimes need a little bit of time to open up. :face-with-tears-of-joy:

OP
OP
J

Jwill1316

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lolol well nothing wrong with having the new excitement jitters and thinking growth is going crazy when its not. I will def be patient then thanks for the help

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 111 87.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back