Help with my Sunset Monti

holdyourlight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got this from a fellow reefer about 2 months ago

heres before and after pictures...i started it on the sand for about 3 weeks, since then it has been in high light and high flow, it is at the top of my tank under a 6x54 Tek T5 fixture and about 10 inches away from a Vortech on reefcrest lowest setting...obviously i am doing something wrong..cal alk and mag are good..

Now:

DSCF3669.jpg

2 months ago:

100_4814.jpg

Znut Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sunset will do better in lower light. But loves the flow. Try moving it down and see if it does better for you.

fiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is towards the bottom of my tank with moderate flow and is doing great. it was actually like yours when I first bought it, slightly bleached. It was at the bottom of the tank that I bought it from, so they must not demand high light?

Bruder

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with what has been said. Lower light is going to bring out that nice orange color.

pwoller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might have been shocked from going from the bottom of your tank to the top. T5's are very intense. I would move it to the bottom and see if it colors up again.

treylane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can't handle ridiculous flow. Start by moving it away from the vortech, and then you can adjust the light for best color. They can bleach to solid white and bounce right back in a few weeks though. Sunsets are among the toughest sps you're gonna find.

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cut most of my stuff in half and then put it in different spots to see where it lights it best.
I have one right in front of my vortec near the bottom of the tank and it is doing good, not as bright though as one that I have at the top right under the center of my mh with moderate flow and the colors are sik.

blaze98

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cut most of my stuff in half and then put it in different spots to see where it lights it best.
I have one right in front of my vortec near the bottom of the tank and it is doing good, not as bright though as one that I have at the top right under the center of my mh with moderate flow and the colors are sik.

So which one am I getting :bigsmile:

FaviaFreak

Weir Everywhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine is doing well in higher light with good flow...

but too much light for too long will dull it out

Tswifty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got mine sitting in what most people would consider moderate to high lighting, but am hitting it pretty hard with flow... located only about 12" out from my VorTech MP40.

Sunset-1.jpg

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So which one am I getting :bigsmile:

The 3rd one ;)

It needed higher light so I moved it about a week ago. I'm still figuring out these new bulbs.

I have a buddy coming over tomorrow with a par meter so I can map my tank out...

dknuckles

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine loves high light!! Center under Phoenix 14k 250HQI is its favorite place and it does great. It was mentioned earlier, but it may be acclimating to the T5s. Your pic is exactly what mine looks like when it does not get enough light.

Here is mine under the 250 HQI and 2- 4' T5 22k AS bulbs
Sunset-monti-colony.jpg

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 48 34.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 47 33.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back