Help with NYOS skimmer noise :( does sump water level, "break in" time and air affect skimmer noise?

Chepre01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys,
slowly i am getting a little bit annoyed. I managed to silence my reef which is in the next room to my bedroom. It is complete silent in my bedroom, except my skimmer. Can hear some hum and (i think) the bubble creation.

Have a NYOS 220 for my 230 gallon mixed tank. Not sure if it is oversized anyway. NYOS 220 is for up to 540 gallons, NYOS160 would be for up to 250 gallons.

I think it ran smoother and more silent in the past, probably once after i cleaned a reassembled i have these noise problems.

Before I m buying a new one for a lot of money, i want to try everything to make it as silent as possible. Also not sure if some adjustments can help.

For example:
- Does the water level in the sump affect somehow the noise of the skimmer?
- if i unplug and replug again a skimmer, i read sometimes of a break in time to run like it should. Maybe a skimmer makes more noise until he did not break in properly?
- air adjustment screw on the silencer: how does it affect noise if it is more open or more closed ?
- oversized skimmer?

Would be thankful for some help,
best regards

(apologies, i m not a native speaker)

Flexin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, not sure about the pump on that unit, but maybe something with a DC pump, they tend to be quieter and give you more control.

reddogf5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two noise sources I can think of are vibration from the pump motor, and noise from the air intake. Some foam under the skimmer can prevent pump noise from being transmitted to the sump floor, and a silencer on the air intake can help reduce that noise.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a Silencer from a Pill Bottle and Some Lee’s Rigid Tube. Drilled a Hole in the Cap and in the base of the bottle, off center, stuck short pieces of the tubing in the bottle, so they passed each other. Almost to the other end. I did this on a noisy Bubble Magus, and I made one for a Coralife HOB Skimmer.

mike89t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Nyos 120.

I know for proper operation they should be in 8" of water. I had to raise mine up on a stand so that it sits in 8".

As for noise here are the most common causes:

- run-in period of the device
- pump is dirty or has lime scale deposits, foreign object in pump
- hybrid wheel unit is damaged
- rotor is not properly positioned in pump
- filter tank is too small or skimmer touches the side panel of the sump. Then, the filter tank functions as sound box and can increase the noise of the pump.

Back