Help with parameters & dosing, please

yourmom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my 40 gal AIO display tank since October and I've noticed my corals aren't thriving.

Nuvo Fusion AIO cube with media chamber, AI16 light. Weekly-ish water changes of 5 gal. I have a skimmer that is not in use, unsure if I should incorporate.

Stock: 2 clowns (one recently added), bicolor blenny, pistol shrimp & ywg pair, tiger conch, cleaner shrimp, sherman rose anemone (had for 6 mo now), flame scallop (I know...), yellow cucumber that just split, an emerald crab and some snails.

Coral: Plate coral, mushroom, pulsing xenia, pipe organ, frogspawn, 2 small zoa colonies, blasto, candycane, and 4 different varieties of goniopora. Everyone looks fine BUT the goniopora are really struggling. All 3 plugs are tucked in tight. One larger piece seems happy but the others are probably dying and I can't figure out why.

Parameters: Nitrate 10.3 (hanna), alk 8.3 (hanna), calcium 401 hanna/350-360 salifert, magnesium 1245 (salifert), pH 7.8-7.9 (API), Salinity .024-0.25/32 or so(refractometer).

I don't dose anything, but I'm starting to think I should. Mag is a little low but not too terrible... I feed frozen spirolina brine or mysis in AM with a splash of phytofeast. NewVision pellet/flake in PM.

I appreciate any help you're able to provide. Let me know if you need more info. Thanks in advance!

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run the skimmer and check your ph in a few days.
I would do bi weekly water changes on schedule if you dont want to dose yet.
The mag needs bumped up a tad.

Would be good to knoe your phosphate level in relation to the nitrate.
Higher nutrients requires a few tweaks ime.

OP
OP
yourmom

yourmom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
elaborate.
The gonioporas, specifically, had been lively and colorful since I introduced them into the tank in March. They were out and happier/more colorful than I saw them in my local store. This way for probably 3 months. I didn't glue them down, so when my anemone took up residence right smack in the middle of my tank, I was worried but they stayed happy for at least another 3-4 weeks. Then started to not come out as often so I put them on a plug shelf away from the nem and they didn't like it there. After a few weeks I moved them from the plug shelf to rock outside of nem reach a few weeks ago, and I was optimistic because the purple one came out for a day or so. Now it's back inside too and the others are also. One is starting to die, I can see the change in its skeleton. There's a small feather duster on at least one plug, maybe two, and some algae. I have heard dusters are good so hadn't given it much thought but if I need to remove it let me know...

I have one giant yellow goni that is free-standing and hasn't had any issues. Same tank so obviously same water parameters.

The other one that isn't thriving is my candy cane. It was looking lovely but I think the nem got to it also and it started to wither a bit, losing volume and color. I moved it but it hasn't recovered yet.

Other corals and anemone/fish seem fine.

OP
OP
yourmom

yourmom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run the skimmer and check your ph in a few days.
I would do bi weekly water changes on schedule if you dont want to dose yet.
The mag needs bumped up a tad.

Would be good to knoe your phosphate level in relation to the nitrate.
Higher nutrients requires a few tweaks ime.
Skimmer: I am limited on space behind the tank so I'd have to either remove a filter sock or the media tower to use the skimmer. I'm also extremely nervous about having it overflow, not sure where to place it as far as water level.

I only have an API test for phosphate. I can try that.

I'm not opposed to dosing if the tank would benefit from it, I just want to make sure I'm not changing a ton of stuff at once and overcorrecting.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hadn't heard of kalkwasser. I'll see if they have it locally. It's for the ATO reservoir?
When i used it in my ato, it worked just fine.
Theres another way to incorperate it with a kalk stirrer if your evap replenishment doesnt keep the elements as stable as needed in between water changes.

OP
OP
yourmom

yourmom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics of tank and "unhealthy" corals, as well as whats "healthy". Your parameters don't look to be out of wack, but a phosphate number might be revealing also.
Here are current pics from today. Sorry for the lighting, I put AI on “feed mode” lighting which is better but not great.

Yellow goniopora is happy, all others not so much…
E288D584-0058-47A5-9850-96648217D7D0.jpeg

C90F918A-1180-4180-BFD8-D1D23ED94935.jpeg

B99E55CF-3961-4F78-9DB2-21124CDED7E0.jpeg

candycane
9F6AB2EC-6219-4B25-81B2-48CE9BE3C406.jpeg

Full tank
D20A2A11-F490-4B0A-A853-E25671C110FF.jpeg

KC's CNC Creations

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The gonioporas, specifically, had been lively and colorful since I introduced them into the tank in March. They were out and happier/more colorful than I saw them in my local store. This way for probably 3 months. I didn't glue them down, so when my anemone took up residence right smack in the middle of my tank, I was worried but they stayed happy for at least another 3-4 weeks. Then started to not come out as often so I put them on a plug shelf away from the nem and they didn't like it there. After a few weeks I moved them from the plug shelf to rock outside of nem reach a few weeks ago, and I was optimistic because the purple one came out for a day or so. Now it's back inside too and the others are also. One is starting to die, I can see the change in its skeleton. There's a small feather duster on at least one plug, maybe two, and some algae. I have heard dusters are good so hadn't given it much thought but if I need to remove it let me know...

I have one giant yellow goni that is free-standing and hasn't had any issues. Same tank so obviously same water parameters.

The other one that isn't thriving is my candy cane. It was looking lovely but I think the nem got to it also and it started to wither a bit, losing volume and color. I moved it but it hasn't recovered yet.

Other corals and anemone/fish seem fine.
Goniopora require feeding, have you been feeding it?

OP
OP
yourmom

yourmom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Goniopora require feeding, have you been feeding it?
This is my problem! ‍[face palm] New to reefing, and I target feed my other corals but never received a positive response from my Goni so I didn’t think they liked it when I basted them. I haven’t been using my reef roids lately, mostly targeting with mysis. I’ll incorporate the reef roids again and see if they perk up. Any other small particle food recommendations?

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 142 60.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 65 27.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 83 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 41 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.0%
Back