Help with PBT Disease Identification & Treatment

VanCityReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers,

Could really use some help! I have an adorable 3.5" Powder Blue Tang in my 20G quarantine. Poor guy came loaded with diseases and parasites. Please see this shared album for pictures. Noticed a few spots on one of the left fin, two spots in the anal fin, and that was about it. There have been no signs of improvement. Two days ago, another spot has shown up on the left side near the tail and more on the left fin. There is also a white spot in the dorsal fin. It was difficult to capture pictures of the left fin however, the rest of the spots in question were able to turn out.

In Canada, copper treatments are not easily accessible. Therefore I had to use what I could find at LFS and was recommended. First I treated with Sera Cyprinopur, then moved to Kordon Rid Ich Plus. Hopefully, on Tuesday, I should be receiving some Copper Power Blue, that I ordered from the States (Canadians will empathize with that sentence).

The following was my treatment regiment:
All water changes are with salinity and temp matched water. The FW dip had temp and PH matched water.
  1. 6 pm 0.7 ml Sera Cyprinopur
  2. 6 pm 0.8 ml Sera Cyprinopur
  3. 6 pm 50% Water Change & Vacuum + 8 ml Kordon Rid Ich Plus
  4. 5 pm 30% Water Change & Vacuum + 8 ml Kordon Rid Ich Plus
  5. 4 pm FW Dip (Temp & PH Matched) (lasted 3.5 mins) and returned into 30% Water Change & Vacuum (did this during fw dip). 1.5 hours later dosed 8 ml Kordon Rid Ich Plus
  6. 8 pm 30% Water Change & Vacuum + 8 ml Kordon Rid Ich Plus
  7. 7 pm 30% Water Change & Vacuum + 8 ml Kordon Rid Ich Plus
  8. 5 pm 30% Water Change & Vacuum + 8 ml Kordon Rid Ich Plus
  9. 8 pm 30% Water Change & Vacuum + 8 ml Kordon Rid Ich Plus
  10. 8 pm 30% Water Change & Vacuum + 8 ml Kordon Rid Ich Plus
  11. 6 pm 30% Water Change & Vacuum + 8 ml Kordon Rid Ich Plus
  12. 6 pm 30% Water Change & Vacuum + 8 ml Kordon Rid Ich Plus
  13. 12 pm 4 ml Kordon Rid Ich Plus + 6 pm 30% Water Change & Vacuum + 8 ml Kordon Rid Ich Plus
  14. 6 pm 30% Water Change & Vacuum + 8 ml Kordon Rid Ich Plus
  15. (Today) 12 pm 4 ml Kordon Rid Ich Plus + at 6 pm will do 30% Water Change & Vacuum + 8 ml Kordon Rid Ich Plus

Is there anything I am doing wrong? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/iWwThSJmwKfrDDH79

Thank you for your time in advance!
Shane

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a really nice looking PBT. I get so tired of seeing pale skinny ones up for sale in the US.
Kordon rid ich is mostly for FW, it is formalin and malachite green. Ironic that you can buy that but can’t buy copper ! The sera product is for ponds, and I couldn’t find any mention of its ingredients, does it say on the bottle?
I would get the copper going ASAP, and then dose with prazipro for flukes.
Jay

OP
OP
VanCityReef

VanCityReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea believe it or not, but in Canada if you need medication for your fish, you have to take it to the vet. Yes, you read that correct, you need to physically take your fish to the vet.

Really appreciate the advice! I'll try get my hands on some Prazipro. Will be similar story, find somewhere to order it from the states haha.

Wondering what your thoughts are from the pictures, do you think that new spot near the tail is marine ich?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a clear enough view of the spot to form an opinion. Here is one thing you can do though: if the spot stays in one spot for more than about 36 hours, it isn't ich. If the spots are larger and more diffuse, it isn't early stage ich. If the spots don't increase in number day to day, it isn't an acute case of ich.

Of course, with PBT you can just diagnose it has ich and be right about 80% of the time (grin).

Jay

OP
OP
VanCityReef

VanCityReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Jay Hemdal thanks again for your response. As per your message, I am actually experiencing everything you mentioned. The spot has stayed in one spot for more than 36 hours. The new spot near the tail is definitely larger. In the last two weeks I've seen the spots on the left fin turn from one to a handful, then the spots on the dorsal fin and near the tail showed up

If it isn't ich, what is it and how do I treat it?

Thanks again for your time and knowledge in advance,
Shane

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
As an option, polyp Lab “MEDIC” works very well also

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm kind of a "one trick pony" - copper and praziquantel. I've heard that some Canadian folks have had issues buying these meds from the US and then getting them across the border, I just don't know the intricacies of your laws. We may see similar issues in the US because people have been buying aquarium fish medications and then diverting them for human use.

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I'm kind of a "one trick pony" - copper and praziquantel. I've heard that some Canadian folks have had issues buying these meds from the US and then getting them across the border, I just don't know the intricacies of your laws. We may see similar issues in the US because people have been buying aquarium fish medications and then diverting them for human use.

Jay
Formalin is a good example

MThorne

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! The same story, unfortunately, I will have to find a way to order it from the States without it getting stopped at the border. SMH Canada. Having more options definitely helps though! Thanks again
Where in canada are you? I have everything you need and would share. I'm in niagara falls

MThorne

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in Vancouver! Would be happy to purchase Prazipro from you if you have it??? <3 haha
I only have the 1 bottle unfortunately...I know the struggle with this stupid new law. I have a vet that will prescribe me on my word but even with a prescription it's still hard to find.?.?. ***

OP
OP
VanCityReef

VanCityReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have the 1 bottle unfortunately...I know the struggle with this stupid new law. I have a vet that will prescribe me on my word but even with a prescription it's still hard to find.?.?. ***

Ahh well, I appreciate the thought! Will keep searching for Prazipro!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, @Jay Hemdal I've had the copper in for two days now. The cyst by the tail has fallen off. Wondering how often you would recommend doing water changes?
Sorry, not sure I understand....if ammonia is good, no special water changes would be needed.
Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay thanks. The reason I asked is that Kordon Ich Plus treatment instructions included a daily 25% water change.

Ah - so yes, you need to do that. Also, do not run the Ich Plus longer than stated on the bottle, as malachite green can build up in fish tissue over time.

Jay

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back