Help with plumbing!

louiedogphilly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some assistance with plumbing my tank. It came with a plumbing kit and no instructions. Seemed straight forward enough but both drains and the return are leaking. It uses flexible tuning for everything below the tank. Already got back from lowes with what I thought I needed to convert the drains to PVC and of course it doesn’t fit. Could really use some help here as it’s actively dripping!
14A45C8F-ED79-4AA1-BAC4-43ED2647BA41.jpeg

GeoSquid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where exactly are they leaking from. Did you install rubber gaskets on the bulkheads? Also, it's beneficial to use Teflon tape on threaded connections. For hose attachments, you might consider using hose clamps.

arowana718

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some assistance with plumbing my tank. It came with a plumbing kit and no instructions. Seemed straight forward enough but both drains and the return are leaking. It uses flexible tuning for everything below the tank. Already got back from lowes with what I thought I needed to convert the drains to PVC and of course it doesn’t fit. Could really use some help here as it’s actively dripping!
14A45C8F-ED79-4AA1-BAC4-43ED2647BA41.jpeg

Like he asked, where is it exactly leaking? The threaded bulkhead and threaded barb need to be sealed glued, teflon, or thread sealer. I used all purpose pvc/abs cement.

Looks like from the third bulkhead, its coming from the barb threaded to bulkhead threaded connection.

Also, like the user said, is the rubber gasket on the wet or dry side. Bc it needs to be on wet side

OP
OP
L

louiedogphilly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are gaskets on the top side of the glass in the tank. None were included for the bottom. I have Teflon tape I can use for the threaded return connection which should help. The drains are slip on, which I was reluctant to cement because I hate this tubing and was going to convert to pvc. But either I got the wrong size or it’s not a standard size standard size.

OP
OP
L

louiedogphilly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The drain on the left also seems to be leaking between the glass and the “nut” (excuse improper terminology). Should I put silicone around it?

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if it's leaking between the glass and fitting you can tighten it a little bit more, but they don't too tight either. you can get threaded bulkhead fittings from brs https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/bulkhead-abs-thread-x-thread.html
this makes it easy to change or swap out plumbing. use teflon tape on the threaded fittings.

arowana718

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The drain on the left also seems to be leaking between the glass and the “nut” (excuse improper terminology). Should I put silicone around it?

Only one Gasket should go on Inside of tank.

Tighten it more to see if it leaks

arowana718

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I cement these barbs will I ever be able to switch to PVC?

If its glue, its permanent. If u want pvc, you would have to get new bulkheads for couple bucks.

I actually like this better bc the flex hoses/tubing can be easily bend and easy to work with.

arowana718

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like thread too. Just to prevent leakage, i only glue the barb adapter, everything else is dry fitted

What i did was drain: slip x threaded
Return: threaded x threaded

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use thread sealant on the threaded fittings not Teflon tape. I use Megalok

OP
OP
L

louiedogphilly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the internal surfaces on the bulkheads threaded?
No external. And it’s definitely leaking from the bulk heads as well. It’s been dripping all day, the over flow is finally almost empty. But the bulkheads themselves have to be leaking since the water is no where near the top of the drains now.

OP
OP
L

louiedogphilly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m basically waiting for it to be completely empty to take them out now and in instigate further. I’ve already fitted and cemented a bunch of PVC together to use instead of the flexible tube.

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use thread sealant on the threaded fittings not Teflon tape. I use Megalok
Thank you. This is a common no-no. You don't use teflon tape (or Paste) on plastic threads. Only thread sealant.

You can't have a hose to barb connection without a clamp, it will leak and probably come off st some point flooding your house.

If you were to change to pvc, you'd need new bulkhead fittings anyway since they would need to be slip fit instead of threaded or barb.

I prefer slip fit for pvc and just replace them on the rare occasion that I need to change plumbing. Peace of mind for me knowing that pvc glue joints have never leaked. I've had hose barb joints leak and threaded fittings leak. Even had a threaded joint break and flood my living room. I likely overtightened it, but I still took out all the threaded connections and replaced them with glued ones.

Get hose clamps on those barb connections ASAP! ! !

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 16 29.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 45 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.5%
Back