OP
OP
RtomKinMad

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just reading a little more, you might be a little more concerned if it is completely blocking his mouth. Is his mouth open at all? Does it look like his gills are moving more rapidly?

I might have spoken too soon, I’m not sure he will be able to get enough oxygen without water being able to pass through his mouth and over his gills... apparently the amount of water movement needed to meet oxygen requirements is pretty incredible.

Always learning in this hobby...
Thank you for helping us! We appreciate it!

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s open enough for him to eat I wouldn’t worry too much, hopefully it comes loose in a day or two... and he learned his lesson about not eating glue [emoji849]

OP
OP
RtomKinMad

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s open enough for him to eat I wouldn’t worry too much, hopefully it comes loose in a day or two... and he learned his lesson about not eating glue [emoji849]
Thank you very much. I’m home today so I will keep a good eye on him. My husband can catch him tonight if needed. A month ago we had to catch a very large line green wrasse and move from reef to fish only tank. Boy was that fun. 4 arms, two nets, deviders, and one clear plastic container later! Thanks again for your help. Will keep everyone posted!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
HAHA - this happened to me as well (well my purple tang).... I tried and tried to catch him to get it off - experience - it will fall off on its own:). Im sure someone already said this - but - I have an almost identical picture of my tang with his mouth 'partially' glued shut.

OP
OP
RtomKinMad

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HAHA - this happened to me as well (well my purple tang).... I tried and tried to catch him to get it off - experience - it will fall off on its own:). Im sure someone already said this - but - I have an almost identical picture of my tang with his mouth 'partially' glued shut.

What these creatures won’t do to stress us out! Thank you I sure hope so!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What these creatures won’t do to stress us out! Thank you I sure hope so!

I literally bought the fish - put him in the tank - (he was not cheap) - took the coral frag I had also just tried to buy - and I put too much glue on it - the fish literally went right to it as I put in the tank. The rest is history:)

OP
OP
RtomKinMad

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I literally bought the fish - put him in the tank - (he was not cheap) - took the coral frag I had also just tried to buy - and I put too much glue on it - the fish literally went right to it as I put in the tank. The rest is history:)
Frustrating! Hope it turned out ok.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Frustrating! Hope it turned out ok.

Yep - came off by the next day... He then probably stupidly ate the piece of glue lol:) he is still fine I think 4 years later.

OP
OP
RtomKinMad

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well everyone the glue came off!!’ Yeah! Purple tang is good. Eat like a pig tonight!! I’m super happy.
Thank you everyone for your help and support. My husband was super happy when I told him he didn’t need to take the rocks apart!
Thanks guys and gals!
Kindel

50A54C9D-0938-487B-9D0C-DF00BAEE3F1F.jpeg

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well everyone the glue came off!!’ Yeah! Purple tang is good. Eat like a pig tonight!! I’m super happy.
Thank you everyone for your help and support. My husband was super happy when I told him he didn’t need to take the rocks apart!
Thanks guys and gals!
Kindel

I just came across your thread, I'm glad it worked out!

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys and gals!
Kindel

That's great! This happened to my sailfin tang just last week. The glue came off on its own eventually but it was very stressful!

russell13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Believe it or not this same thing happened to me with a yellow tang. I had glued a frag plug to some rock and sure enough he tried to eat it and glued his mouth closed. After doing some research I found that most of the time it will fall off. This was not the case with mine, there was just to much glue. It took me about two days to catch him. I think he was weak because of not eating, I took a razor blade and cut away the glue without doing any damage to the fishes skin. After putting him back in the tank he still looked weak and wasn’t his normal self. I’m sad to report that two days later we found him floating. I’ve lost fish before but this one really bothered me. I hope everything works better for you

OP
OP
RtomKinMad

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great! This happened to my sailfin tang just last week. The glue came off on its own eventually but it was very stressful!
I didn’t realize this happens so often. We will definitely watch more closely now. My husband had to leave for work and I made him reattach a coral before he had to leave so we were in a hurry and not watch closely I guess. Like children these tangs!

OP
OP
RtomKinMad

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Believe it or not this same thing happened to me with a yellow tang. I had glued a frag plug to some rock and sure enough he tried to eat it and glued his mouth closed. After doing some research I found that most of the time it will fall off. This was not the case with mine, there was just to much glue. It took me about two days to catch him. I think he was weak because of not eating, I took a razor blade and cut away the glue without doing any damage to the fishes skin. After putting him back in the tank he still looked weak and wasn’t his normal self. I’m sad to report that two days later we found him floating. I’ve lost fish before but this one really bothered me. I hope everything works better for you
Oh no, I’m so sorry. That was my fear that would happen to mine. I hate loosing fish but it’s worse when you feel guilty. I’m sorry. We are definitely going to watch closer when we glue coral. Thank you for sharing and sorry about your tang. :(

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How’s baby Dori? I keep loosing your thread. For some reason. Did you get the new tank yet? Did your friend come to visit from Oshkosh yet?
She's doing really well, she doesn't even look like the same fish. No tank yet, still waiting for the owner to drop it off. And my friend just left to head back home yesterday, he helped me quite a bit with water changes and mixing salt

OP
OP
RtomKinMad

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She's doing really well, she doesn't even look like the same fish. No tank yet, still waiting for the owner to drop it off. And my friend just left to head back home yesterday, he helped me quite a bit with water changes and mixing salt
I’m glad your friend got to visit, he must do salt water too?. How big is the new tank suppose to be? Will you move both the hippo tangs into the new tank? What supplies do you still need for new tank?

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m glad your friend got to visit, he must do salt water too?. How big is the new tank suppose to be? Will you move both the hippo tangs into the new tank? What supplies do you still need for new tank?
He actually doesn't have any fish but did enjoy helping me. The new tank is going to be a 75, I'm not quite sure what I'm going to need yet because I'm not entirely sure what is going to come with it. I'll keep you posted when I find out:)

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same thing happened with my large maroon clown. She was always determined to move anything new added to her area and one day, glued her mouth completely shut.

It naturally comes off in a few days and had zero effect long term.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back