Help with quarantine tank

tomkun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys so Im trying to set up a quarantine tank since my display tank had velvet. I lost 4 fish about 3 months ago and I only have 1 firefish left in the tank now. The part I'm confused about is, I read that most people seed a filter/sponge/marine block in their main tank to use in the quarantine tank to help it cycle, but since my display tank has velvet can I still do that? I plan on doing a 76 day fallow period to kill off the velvet while I quarantine my new fishes along with my filefish that survived the velvet outbreak.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an odd case where your QT is “cleaner” than your DT...in cases I’ve had with that, I’ve cycled the QT with bacteria starter culture and some food for it (a meaty protein source). Then run the QT through its cycle while your DT lays fallow.
Jay

OP
OP
T

tomkun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an odd case where your QT is “cleaner” than your DT...in cases I’ve had with that, I’ve cycled the QT with bacteria starter culture and some food for it (a meaty protein source). Then run the QT through its cycle while your DT lays fallow.
Jay

Should I wait for my qt tank to cycle first before I move my fire fish from the display tank to the quarantine tank?

Oropher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually you could set up a new QT with some bio blocks, sponge filter and powerhead then handle that firefish in he uncycled QT rightaway as long as you don't mind 50% WC each 2 days for the first 2 weeks, then each 3 days for the next 2 weeks.

I use a 10L QT :
20200702070929s.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back