Help with Randy’s reef chemistry calculator

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please help me with understanding Randy’s chemistry reef calculator. I attached a screenshot to help to understand my questions.

Using the example on my screenshot, to get to 9 dkh from 8.62 dkh, I need 10 ml of the dosing product that I am using. Just on the same Alkalinity column, it says “balanced Calcium = 425 ppm at 3.21 meq/l”.

First question, does it mean I need to target my Calcium level at 425 ppm? What if my Calcium level is already more than 425 ppm (based on Trident) and I am not dosing any Calcium at all?

Using the example on my screenshot, if hypothetically my Calcium level is 410 and I want to bring it to 425 (as per the recommendation on Randy’s calculator above), I need an X amount of Calcium supplement. On the same Calcium column, it says “Balanced Alkalinity = 3.2 meq/l at 425 ppm”.

My second question is: 3.2 meq/l is equal to 10.64 dkh ?!? According to reefkeeping website, 1 meq/L = 2.8 dKH. So, my balanced Alakalinity based on 425 ppm Calcium is 10.64 dkh?! But on the Alkalinity column, at 9 dkh Alk, the balanced Calcium is 425 ppm?!?

Am I reading this whole thing wrong? Please help. :(
56C9D83B-FF4C-41B5-ADAA-A3BA6AE95481.png

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What is 'odd' is when I go to the calculator (I'm using this site - http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html) - I cant choose the chemicals that are on your picture. For example on the site I used - the Alkalinity for ESV is "ESV B ionic bicarbonate Syst P1" - At least I'm not seeing the product you are choosing in the choice list on the website I'm looking at. BUT - looking at the ESV website - it seems like you merely dose the same amount of both (again I'm not sure exactly which product you're using - or the calculator site you're using) so - if you want to add alkalinity (and 8.6 to 9 is not that big change Im a little curious why you're doing it) - Put those numbers into the calculator - and then I believe you would dose the amount of both part 1 and part 2 listed in the alkalinity calculator. (i.e - I don't think that you enter the alkalinity into the alkalinity part - and then the calcium into the calcium part) - I think you (with these products) - does equal amounts.mHoep this helps... PS on the website - it says:

"Every reef aquarium has it's own unique demand for calcium and alkalinity, and in order to establish the needs of your tank, we recommend testing those parameters. The recommended starting dose is 1 ml. of each component per 4 gallons of aquarium capacity per day, and with regular testing, you can adjust your dose accordingly."

OP
OP
canadianeh

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is 'odd' is when I go to the calculator (I'm using this site - http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html) - I cant choose the chemicals that are on your picture. For example on the site I used - the Alkalinity for ESV is "ESV B ionic bicarbonate Syst P1" - At least I'm not seeing the product you are choosing in the choice list on the website I'm looking at. BUT - looking at the ESV website - it seems like you merely dose the same amount of both (again I'm not sure exactly which product you're using - or the calculator site you're using) so - if you want to add alkalinity (and 8.6 to 9 is not that big change Im a little curious why you're doing it) - Put those numbers into the calculator - and then I believe you would dose the amount of both part 1 and part 2 listed in the alkalinity calculator. (i.e - I don't think that you enter the alkalinity into the alkalinity part - and then the calcium into the calcium part) - I think you (with these products) - does equal amounts.mHoep this helps... PS on the website - it says:

"Every reef aquarium has it's own unique demand for calcium and alkalinity, and in order to establish the needs of your tank, we recommend testing those parameters. The recommended starting dose is 1 ml. of each component per 4 gallons of aquarium capacity per day, and with regular testing, you can adjust your dose accordingly."
The ESV product that I am using is on the calculator. I just used the link that you posted and I was able to find it. It is right above the one the “bicarbonate “ selection.

I am not dosing Calcium right now because the level is already higher than what I want. So I am only dosing Alk right now. If I dose the same amount of Calcium, wouldn’t it bring the Calcium level higher than what I want?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The ESV product that I am using is on the calculator. I just used the link that you posted and I was able to find it. It is right above the one the “bicarbonate “ selection.

I am not dosing Calcium right now because the level is already higher than what I want. So I am only dosing Alk right now. If I dose the same amount of Calcium, wouldn’t it bring the Calcium level higher than what I want?
I would dose the product as in the directions. I can't see the product that you took a picture of (above) on my link (on the dropdown = the wording is different) - BUT - either way - if you are wanting to fine-tune your alkalinity to such a degree (8.6-9.0) with daily dosing - you want to be sure you're checking the level at the same time everyday - because it will fluctuate. Then - if you're planning to dose - and you want to keep it 'stable' - I would do it every day. Lastly - if you're going to do it every day - I would get a dosing pump.

I think you are using the calculator correctly. You dial in your alkalinity - and the product you are using - and you add it. If the product you're using says 'add an equivalent amount of calcium part whatever' I would do that. I believe that the way this product is designed is to be used is targeting the alkalinity - and the calcium will balance by it self eventually.

I would be careful about using this product only with alkalinity becasue - at least to my reading its not designed to be used that way. I would not worry much about fluctuations in Ca++ (i.e. what the calculator says). Long story short - you're using the calculator correctly. Maybe @Randy Holmes-Farley can weigh in as well.

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started a thread similar about raising just alk with a 2-part and from my gatherings you can dose just ESV part-1 to raise just alk. What I also learned is if you need to raise just alk just use baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) until your calcium is back to where you want it and you can start dosing your 2-part.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I started a thread similar about raising just alk with a 2-part and from my gatherings you can dose just ESV part-1 to raise just alk. What I also learned is if you need to raise just alk just use baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) until your calcium is back to where you want it and you can start dosing your 2-part.
You can - if you're going to do that - why not just use BRS CaCl2 and Na Carbonate and Mg Chloride and Mg sulfate. It was my understanding that the benefit of ESV was to keep the balance between Ca, CL, SO4 alkalinity and Mg 'simply'. Btw - you can also decrease the Ca or alkalinity - as needed - it doesn't have to be equal - but they recommend equal 'for the most part'.

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can - if you're going to do that - why not just use BRS CaCl2 and Na Carbonate and Mg Chloride and Mg sulfate. It was my understanding that the benefit of ESV was to keep the balance between Ca, CL, SO4 alkalinity and Mg 'simply'. Btw - you can also decrease the Ca or alkalinity - as needed - it doesn't have to be equal - but they recommend equal 'for the most part'.
I do have ESV 2-part and dose that but when first starting my tank my calcium was very high so I needed to let it drop but also keep my ALK stable as my corals were up taking it.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I do have ESV 2-part and dose that but when first starting my tank my calcium was very high so I needed to let it drop but also keep my ALK stable as my corals were up taking it.
I will just tell you what I do (everyone has a different opinion about 'very high' or 'low' or whatever. To me - your Ca is a little low - your alkalinity at 8.6 is fine where it is. But - in my tank - I keep my alkalinity anywhere between 7.5 and 8.5 - and my calcium anywhere between 420 and 500. I have a dosing pump - so any changes that happen are very slow - i.e. lets say my CA is 500 - I will turn the dose down by 50 percent and recheck in a week. Same with alkalinity (especially if the tank is doing well) - if your corals and fish are doing 'well' - sometimes less testing is more - and stability is king. JMO.

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will just tell you what I do (everyone has a different opinion about 'very high' or 'low' or whatever. To me - your Ca is a little low - your alkalinity at 8.6 is fine where it is. But - in my tank - I keep my alkalinity anywhere between 7.5 and 8.5 - and my calcium anywhere between 420 and 500. I have a dosing pump - so any changes that happen are very slow - i.e. lets say my CA is 500 - I will turn the dose down by 50 percent and recheck in a week. Same with alkalinity (especially if the tank is doing well) - if your corals and fish are doing 'well' - sometimes less testing is more - and stability is king. JMO.
Haha, you quoted the wrong guy, I'm not the OP.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is best to get Alk stable in the beginning. If you don't have any LPS or SPS corals in the tank, there is no need to dose anything as long as you are doing regular water changes. Once you add corals they will start to consume Alk and Ca. Once they start to consume these, test on day one, wait three days, and test again at the exact same time. Divide the amount that Alk went down by 3. This will allow you to figure out how much to dose daily.

OP
OP
canadianeh

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all for the reply. I do have LPS and softies in my tank. I have Trident and DOS set up. I have a build thread too. I just wanted to understand Randy’s calculator.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks all for the reply. I do have LPS and softies in my tank. I have Trident and DOS set up. I have a build thread too. I just wanted to understand Randy’s calculator.
Here is one suggestion (I know you didnt ask for it) - keep it simple. I know lots of people love ESV. I use the chemicals themselves (the recipes I believe Randy suggested) - from BRS. I dose Cacl2 - and Na carbonate. Every 4 liters - I supplement the MgSo4/MgCL mixture - with no problems - and much (I think) cheaper. Then - there are multiple calculators you can use. I use the BRS calculator - but unfortunately - you can not put in your chemicals. I think you're doing it correctly - best of luck with your tank - hope I didnt make it overly complicated:)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back