OP
OP
E

Eleni18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquaforest Nitrophos minus is really good and should help just start the dosing slowly so you dont shock the tank.
Thanks, I am actually using all aquaforest products in my rank, so I will certainly try this

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? I have no phospate 0! You think maybe that;s why I have high nitrates apart from neglecting my water changes?

I'm no expert in it. It's very possible, if not likely. Hopefully it will start to resolve itself now that the phosphate removing media is out. Algae, bacteria, corals... they all basically need one to consume the other. Like I say, rudimentary understanding here, but if you poke around the chemistry forum, you'll see what I mean.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Do you do that regularly, or just when nitrates go up?
I change 10% water per week always.
What do you test your phosphates with?
When you say no you mean 0 or .05 or?
If you really have 0 phosphate that could be the issue for high nitrate. You might have something growing like algae thats using all the phosphate but normally it would use nitrate too.
I forgot to ask if you are using rodi water as some water can be high in nitrates.

Nano10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful with carbon dosing and trying to lower nutrients in general. Low level near 0 are far more dangerous than high level. Personally I wouldn't run any po4 removers or do any carbon dosing. Just do water changes and feed enough to keep no3 above 5 and below 30ppm and po4 between 0.01-0.1

If they occasionally go a little higher it's nothing to worry about.

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had extremely high nitrates few months ago as well. I did weekly water change, and doses vinegar. Does in small amount, slowly raise it up and back it down when nitrate level drops. Also, I added more algae in the sump. Took me over a month. Pm me if you got questions

OP
OP
E

Eleni18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful with carbon dosing and trying to lower nutrients in general. Low level near 0 are far more dangerous than high level. Personally I wouldn't run any po4 removers or do any carbon dosing. Just do water changes and feed enough to keep no3 above 5 and below 30ppm and po4 between 0.01-0.1

If they occasionally go a little higher it's nothing to worry about.
Thank you!

OP
OP
E

Eleni18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had extremely high nitrates few months ago as well. I did weekly water change, and doses vinegar. Does in small amount, slowly raise it up and back it down when nitrate level drops. Also, I added more algae in the sump. Took me over a month. Pm me if you got questions
Thank you! What kind of algae that won't take over the tank?

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! What kind of algae that won't take over the tank?
Pretty much algae will given at the right condition which is its purpose and your desire. It’s in the sump, just trim them when you’re doing water change.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 58 50.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 55.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 27 23.3%
  • None.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.8%
Back