Help with RED ALGAE problem

kwp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having difficulty getting rid of red algae. I have a 210 gallon marine tank that is fish only. I have very high nitrate levels and I have verified this with 2 different test kits and getting the same results. The tank has been up and running for over a year & I only have 6 fish at this time. I have done numerous 20% water changes and have even tried carbon dosing using 20 ml vodka daily and I have not been able to lower my nitrates. I feed very sparingly, I use a big protein skimmer and use 100 micron filter socks. Water movement is very good. Even though my nitrates are high, my fish are doing good. The tank just looks terrible. Lights are only on 9 hours a day. I just hooked up a algae scrubber as a last chance resort. Any help or recommendations are greatly appreciated . Thanks

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you vacuum your sand? Have you cleaned the buildup in the sump? Do you blow the detritus out of your rocks...these are all things that could accumulate and cause high nitrates. The algae reactor should help. How high is high?

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is high...get your reactor running...but in the meantime try to get rid of as much accumulated detritus as you can with some ways mentioned above.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back