Help with Refugium Lighting; Kessil H160 refugium vs a360x refugium vs a360x Tuna Blue

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All-

I need some help choosing a refugium light. My refugium is roughly 14 x 14 for a 108gal display tank.

I was originally going to go with the Kessil a360x Refugium lighting to "outcompete" the display that is using 3 Kessil a360x Tuna Blues.

However, I'm thinking that might be overkill for a 14 x14 area and I could go with a Kessil H160 Refugium light, but I am not sure.

Then I thought, why not a a360x Tuna Blue so I could possible use the sump for coral frags as well. It seem fully tunable and could replicate the a360x Refugium spectrum. I just wouldn't have the pre-tuned options of the refugium model.

Does anyone know:
1. Would a Kessil H160 Refugium light be sufficient for a 14x14 area and "outcompete" my display tank?
2. Can the Kessil a360x Tuna Blue replicate or get very close to the spectrum produced by the refugium model?

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The "H" series is dedicated towards plant growth/health. What's your bioload? If you're going for heavy input and heavy export, then the H360x would fit the bill, but if you're going for average bioload, then I agree that the H160 will do the job.

Albertan22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use an AI prime fuge light on my refugium which is 16x18 and services a 180 gallon reef that is stocked with 17 fish. It is only a 46W light and has no problem keeping up with the nutrients so far. I would say an A360 at 90W would be overkill.

OP
OP
arking_mark

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback.

Can anyone answer quest #2? Can the Kessil a360x Tuna Blue replicate or get very close to the spectrum produced by the refugium model?

If it can, I would but this over the other option as it could also be used to support frags in the sump as well as be a spare for the main tank.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the feedback.

Can anyone answer quest #2? Can the Kessil a360x Tuna Blue replicate or get very close to the spectrum produced by the refugium model?

If it can, I would but this over the other option as it could also be used to support frags in the sump as well as be a spare for the main tank.
It can essentially go to 10k at 100% color, which will add in more warm white, but it's less efficient than the H series at growing plants.
Blog with graphs

Albertan22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The "H" series is dedicated towards plant growth/health. What's your bioload? If you're going for heavy input and heavy export, then the H360x would fit the bill, but if you're going for average bioload, then I agree that the H160 will do the job.
They actually market an A360x Refugium light now. It is controllable unlike their H series of lights and also designed to be water resistant to withstand the higher humidity and splashes of a sump environment.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The other thing to consider is the reverse lighting schedule of refugiums compared to the display, so growing frags in the opposite lighting schedule will not match the displays uptake, pH, o2, etc. I know you're trying to cover two birds with one stone, but I think there's better ways of implementing this.

OP
OP
arking_mark

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other thing to consider is the reverse lighting schedule of refugiums compared to the display, so growing frags in the opposite lighting schedule will not match the displays uptake, pH, o2, etc. I know you're trying to cover two birds with one stone, but I think there's better ways of implementing this.

Better ways without a separate frag tank or frags rack in my display tank? I'm interested....

OP
OP
arking_mark

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They actually market an A360x Refugium light now. It is controllable unlike their H series of lights and also designed to be water resistant to withstand the higher humidity and splashes of a sump environment.

Yes, I listed that as an option. However, I'm interested if the same or similar results could be achieved with the Tuna Blue model. This would give me the option to also grow frag or be a spare for my display tank.

Albertan22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I listed that as an option. However, I'm interested if the same or similar results could be achieved with the Tuna Blue model. This would give me the option to also grow frag or be a spare for my display tank.
Yeah I was directing my remark at minus9 as they were promoting the H series and may not be aware Kessil now has a purpose made product.
On your Tuna Blue question, I own 3 of these lights and suspect that they wouldn’t replicate the same spectrum as the refugium lights at the same wattage. There are red LEDs in it, but I don’t think there are many. If you went red only with a little blue you might get similar colour but probably at much lower wattage, which might be ok if you are over sizing the light to begin with. All that said, our reef LEDs seem to be able to grow algae just fine in the DT so I’m not all that sure I believe we need these red refugium lights to begin with. I half wonder if it’s all marketing hype to get us to buy more products.

OP
OP
arking_mark

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I was directing my remark at minus9 as they were promoting the H series and may not be aware Kessil now has a purpose made product.
On your Tuna Blue question, I own 3 of these lights and suspect that they wouldn’t replicate the same spectrum as the refugium lights at the same wattage. There are red LEDs in it, but I don’t think there are many. If you went red only with a little blue you might get similar colour but probably at much lower wattage, which might be ok if you are over sizing the light to begin with. All that said, our reef LEDs seem to be able to grow algae just fine in the DT so I’m not all that sure I believe we need these red refugium lights to begin with. I half wonder if it’s all marketing hype to get us to buy more products.

I suspect you are right, but started another thread on just the Tuna Blue vs Refugium

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was in a similar dilemma with my new build and went with an hybrid option and I'm so happy i did. I chose the H160 plus 160 Tuna Sun. Wider spectrum plus more intensity.

1601580382590.png

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's about the spectrum plants (macroalgae) utilize compared to corals. They share some spectrums, but differ in what they utilize best. I'm a Kessil user and use their lights for their intended purpose(s). I currently have two 160's in my sump, one H160 for the macro and a tuna blue for my clams (combating pyramid snails in the display). You can use a full spectrum bulb for plant growth, but you're wasting that spectral energy and not utilizing the peaks for plant growth.
I think you can get results using the tuna blue, but the growth of your macros won't be as good wereif you using a better suited light.

OP
OP
arking_mark

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was in a similar dilemma with my new build and went with an hybrid option and I'm so happy i did. I chose the H160 plus 160 Tuna Sun. Wider spectrum plus more intensity.

1601580382590.png

It does give me some ideas. I'm not sure I have the cabinet space like you do, but I'm going skimmer-less and could split the the refugium areas to allow for a frag area...not I bad idea.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
C926DD8D-C067-4AE0-A04E-DFE0F1E75765.jpeg

Here's a quick pic of my current situation (fuge light on only to show contrast). If you look closely, there's green film algae on the tuna blue side, but not on the fuge side. Another side effect of full spectrum lighting composted to specialized lighting for plant growth. But as long as the film algae is in the fuge, it's fine, just more algae to uptake nutrients.

OP
OP
arking_mark

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C926DD8D-C067-4AE0-A04E-DFE0F1E75765.jpeg

Here's a quick pic of my current situation (fuge light on only to show contrast). If you look closely, there's green film algae on the tuna blue side, but not on the fuge side. Another side effect of full spectrum lighting composted to specialized lighting for plant growth. But as long as the film algae is in the fuge, it's fine, just more algae to uptake nutrients.

I think I'm going to go with this solution!

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does give me some ideas. I'm not sure I have the cabinet space like you do, but I'm going skimmer-less and could split the the refugium areas to allow for a frag area...not I bad idea.
No worries, its connected to my remote sump. I like this solution because i dont lose intensity for spectrum like the H360 lights.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back