Help with Reworking My Sump - Removing Teeter Totter Algae Scrubber?

rowdyreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys,

This is my first post on this site, and I am just getting back into the hobby after a long hiatus, so please take it easy on me!

I have an 80g lagoon tank with a custom built acrylic 40g sump (purchased used). The tank is set up with a custom teeter totter algae srcubber (I am currently using PVC to keep it fixed). I am considering removing it and placing a baffle as shown below in order to make a refugium with chaeto and bio blocks. Would this be ok to do? My flow isn't insanely fast in the sump, but there is some flow. Should I keep it simple or split off the over flow as shown in my drawing below?

Just looking for something that makes the most sense. Thanks in advance!

IMG_5619.jpg
IMG_5620.jpg

Sump Idea.JPG

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! :)

I it was my setup, I would keep it simple. In that layout, I don’t really see the need to split the drain for a separate feed into the refugium. In fact, most standard manufactured sump layouts go from Drain -> Skimmer -> Refugium -> Return.

OP
OP
R

rowdyreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! :)

I it was my setup, I would keep it simple. In that layout, I don’t really see the need to split the drain for a separate feed into the refugium. In fact, most standard manufactured sump layouts go from Drain -> Skimmer -> Refugium -> Return.

Thanks! That is the second option. I guess there would be no issues with too much flow, if i went: Drain -> Skimmer -> Refugium -> Return

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally, if I want more water movement at the surface of my sump, I just lower the water level in the return chamber. Conversely, if I want to slow it down, I just add more water and raise my ATO level sensor to raise the water level height in the return.

OP
OP
R

rowdyreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally, if I want more water movement at the surface of my sump, I just lower the water level in the return chamber. Conversely, if I want to slow it down, I just add more water and raise my ATO level sensor to raise the water level height in the return.
got it! makes sense! Now to cut the acrylic scrubber out. Any tips there? haha

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting …. haven't seen an ATS like that in a very long time.

Back