Help with Royal Gramma

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding the quote so Jay see's my reply:

Hey Jay the Firefish and Gramma are still flashing at Day #9. Is that normal or should the flashing should have ceased by now?
I hear that once in awhile, I'm not sure what to make of that. It should have stopped by now. Typically, the fish will flash for a few days after the first treatment and then start up flashing again if you don't run the second treatment in time.

Assuming you dosed for the correct volume, I would just go with the second treatment and see how it goes....

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal If a fish dies because of flukes, does that mean flukes will survive and like attach to another fish? Or how does that work with flukes? My royal gramma scratches more with each day and I do not have much hope…
Adult flukes cannot readily transfer from one fish to another. If they drop off, they die. Flukes have a mobile larval stage that swims around looking for a fish host. In addition, there can be eggs in the tank that hatch out over days to perhaps two weeks and these can re-infest the fish.

Jay

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adult flukes cannot readily transfer from one fish to another. If they drop off, they die. Flukes have a mobile larval stage that swims around looking for a fish host. In addition, there can be eggs in the tank that hatch out over days to perhaps two weeks and these can re-infest the fish.

Jay
Well, that sounds not too good at all. That means my other fishes could already be host for flukes. If I dose Prazi I feel unsafe with my corals.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, that sounds not too good at all. That means my other fishes could already be host for flukes. If I dose Prazi I feel unsafe with my corals.
Praziquantel is typically reef safe when dosed at 2 mg/l. You do need to increase aeration when using it, but I've not had any reports of corals dying because of it.

Jay

OP
OP
P

Poisns1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear that once in awhile, I'm not sure what to make of that. It should have stopped by now. Typically, the fish will flash for a few days after the first treatment and then start up flashing again if you don't run the second treatment in time.

Assuming you dosed for the correct volume, I would just go with the second treatment and see how it goes....

Jay
I added the second treatment 2 days ago. Unfortunately my Royal Gramma stopped eating yesterday and today he is at the top corner of the tank.

So frustrated at this point. Not sure if netting him and doing FW dip would be helpful at this point?

Knowing I don’t have the time or space for a QT tank, is there any other way to introduce fish from the local fish store without infecting the tank? So bummed..

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added the second treatment 2 days ago. Unfortunately my Royal Gramma stopped eating yesterday and today he is at the top corner of the tank.

So frustrated at this point. Not sure if netting him and doing FW dip would be helpful at this point?

Knowing I don’t have the time or space for a QT tank, is there any other way to introduce fish from the local fish store without infecting the tank? So bummed..

Sorry, that is bad news.

Is the gramma breathing fast/hard?
Can you post a short video of it?

Without a dedicated quarantine tank, going forward, your best bet would be to only buy fish that have been properly quarantined by the vendor. If that isn't possible, then buying fish that have been at your LFS for at least two weeks can help, as well as avoiding buying ANY fish from a LFS if other fish in their system shows disease symptoms.

Jay

OP
OP
P

Poisns1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay. I've been buying fish that have arrived within the last few days, sometime even the same day. Now it makes sense why I've had so many fish die in my tanks.

My local fish store was nice enough to take my Gramma in for the time being. He runs high copper in his tank and will take care of him for now. Hopefully he'll recover and I can pick him up again soon.

I wasn't able to get a video but snapped a few pictures of him when he was hanging in the upper corner of the tank just before I took him back to the fish store. Sorry for the blue pictures, can't figure out how to brighten the pics with this new iPhone 13.

Attachments

• Royal Gramma 1.jpg
    Royal Gramma 1.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 40
  • Royal Gramma 2.jpg
    Royal Gramma 2.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 50

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay. I've been buying fish that have arrived within the last few days, sometime even the same day. Now it makes sense why I've had so many fish die in my tanks.

My local fish store was nice enough to take my Gramma in for the time being. He runs high copper in his tank and will take care of him for now. Hopefully he'll recover and I can pick him up again soon.

I wasn't able to get a video but snapped a few pictures of him when he was hanging in the upper corner of the tank just before I took him back to the fish store. Sorry for the blue pictures, can't figure out how to brighten the pics with this new iPhone 13.
Can’t really see much due to the blue, but is that mucus feces hanging off the fish?
Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. I showed it to the pet shop owner, said it was internal parasites (worms)?
No, not worms. Those don't create mucus like that (despite their worm-like appearance). It is typically one of three things: internal protozoans, bacterial disease, or mucus from the fish itself (due to starvation or something in its diet). If the fish is eating, and the mucus doesn't return, then I would just ignore it for now. If the fish isn't eating and/or the mucus continues, then the next thing to try would be metronidazole in the water to treat for protozoan infections (marine fish drink water, so will get some medication that way). metroplex is one such drug, but it isn't reef safe.

jay

OP
OP
P

Poisns1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, not worms. Those don't create mucus like that (despite their worm-like appearance). It is typically one of three things: internal protozoans, bacterial disease, or mucus from the fish itself (due to starvation or something in its diet). If the fish is eating, and the mucus doesn't return, then I would just ignore it for now. If the fish isn't eating and/or the mucus continues, then the next thing to try would be metronidazole in the water to treat for protozoan infections (marine fish drink water, so will get some medication that way). metroplex is one such drug, but it isn't reef safe.

jay
So I just have the lone Firefish in my system now. He looks fine and is still eating well. I haven't noticed him flash in the past 2 days so hopefully the Prazi worked; fingers crossed.

My skimmer however is still going full on Nuclear. I don't understand why it hasn't calmed down yet. I have the gate all the way open and still overflowing with bubbles profusely which get sucked backed into the DT. I have a Bubble Magus Curve 5 and it doesn't have an adjustment on the air injection venturi line at all so I can't turn the air outlet down.

Any advice on how to tame the skimmer bubbles down so I can start skimming again?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just have the lone Firefish in my system now. He looks fine and is still eating well. I haven't noticed him flash in the past 2 days so hopefully the Prazi worked; fingers crossed.

My skimmer however is still going full on Nuclear. I don't understand why it hasn't calmed down yet. I have the gate all the way open and still overflowing with bubbles profusely which get sucked backed into the DT. I have a Bubble Magus Curve 5 and it doesn't have an adjustment on the air injection venturi line at all so I can't turn the air outlet down.

Any advice on how to tame the skimmer bubbles down so I can start skimming again?
Sorry, I don’t know about that brand, all mine have air injectors that I can turn down in order to reduce bubbles.
Prazipro has a solvent in it that can foam up a little, but your case seems a bit extreme.
Jay

OP
OP
P

Poisns1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what news of the gramma and your tank
He died about 3 days later at the pet shop. Something was definitely wrong with him but don't know what.

Only thing I have in my tank right now is a Firefish who is eating well but for some reason his tail fins have become torn the last 10 days. There is nothing else in the tank so it wasn't from getting bullied. Would a Bacterial infection cause this and I'm wondering if that's what happened to my Royal Gramma?

commanderwho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He died about 3 days later at the pet shop. Something was definitely wrong with him but don't know what.

Only thing I have in my tank right now is a Firefish who is eating well but for some reason his tail fins have become torn the last 10 days. There is nothing else in the tank so it wasn't from getting bullied. Would a Bacterial infection cause this and I'm wondering if that's what happened to my Royal Gramma?
Man, that sucks. I’m not an expert on dish disease but if something is wrong with your firefish too I wouldn’t add anything to your tank. You might want to qt him and let your tank sit for 76 days or so to make sure any parasites die.
I learned the hard way too and now I Qt any fish before adding it to the main tank.
safest thing! If you don’t QT there’s a huge risk of parasites especially when you buy from your LFS. Remember those fish are caught transported to maybe several facilities before they go to the store.
if setting up a qt tank is not an option I’d recommend ordering captive Bred fish lol

Breadbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is a dead thread, but if prazi isn't helping you should just go straight to copper. It is what saved my gramma in the end, for some reason, gramma seem to start scratching way before any white spots are visible.

Last edited:

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Breadbox. Prazipro did not work with treating my gramma and he died. My damsel and clowns were then infected and were saved by doing 10 minute Hydroplex dips in saltwater which kills the parasites on them immediately (less stress than FW dip) and then treating in copper in a hospital tank.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back