Help with Royal Gramma

Poisns1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newer FO tank about 10 months old. 1 Firefish and 1 Royal Gramma in tank. Royal Gramma was the first fish introduced and was doing well for about the past 4 months but is now darting rapidly and scraping against sand and rock. Something definitely bothering him.

I don't have a quarantine tank so neither had that. Just acclimated them from the local fish store. The Firefish was added about 3 weeks and eating and behaving fine.

If I can catch the Royal Gramma, would doing a fresh water bath be worthwhile?

Attachments

• Royal Gramma Scraping Vid 1.MOV
    952.6 KB

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newer FO tank about 10 months old. 1 Firefish and 1 Royal Gramma in tank. Royal Gramma was the first fish introduced and was doing well for about the past 4 months but is now darting rapidly and scraping against sand and rock. Something definitely bothering him.

I don't have a quarantine tank so neither had that. Just acclimated them from the local fish store. The Firefish was added about 3 weeks and eating and behaving fine.

A freshwater dip wouldn’t be a bad idea to check for flukes. I can’t get the video to load, does he have any white spots on him?

OP
OP
P

Poisns1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't see any white spots so pretty sure not ich.

Never done a fresh water dip. RO water I'm guessing and have to make sure it's same temp. Anything else and how long to dip?

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't see any white spots so pretty sure not ich.

Never done a fresh water dip. RO water I'm guessing and have to make sure it's same temp. Anything else and how long to dip?
No more than 5 minutes in the freshwater dip. The link I included above has detailed instructions on how to do it

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I wouldn't do a FW dip - it is probably gill flukes and those are going to be too small to see in a dip unless you have a microscope. The FW dip won't cure the fish, and catching a gramma is pretty tough to do without hurting it.

What I would do is dose the tank 2x with Prazipro, about 10 days apart. You would need to remove carbon filtration, remove your skimmer cup (but keep the skimmer running) and then add an air stone to the tank during treatment.

Jay

OP
OP
P

Poisns1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you flash a light on him does he have a fold/silvery look? Sounds kind of like marine velvet - kali
He definitely doesn't look as vibrant as when I first brought him home; colors are faded. His rear fins look cloudy instead of clear. Not sure what this is indicating?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He definitely doesn't look as vibrant as when I first brought him home; colors are faded. His rear fins look cloudy instead of clear. Not sure what this is indicating?

Velvet, Amyloodinium usually causes rapid breathing as a first symptom, followed quickly by death (usually in 48 hours). If the fish is still feeding, it definitely isn't velvet. Flukes and bacteria both can cause cloudy fins.

Jay

OP
OP
P

Poisns1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay is there another medication that would cover the flukes AMD Bacteria if that is what's causing the clouded fins and body?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay is there another medication that would cover the flukes AMD Bacteria if that is what's causing the clouded fins and body?
Sorry, no. The medications are different for the two issues. Any change in the fish's condition? If it is about the same, I'd say the issues is more likely to be flukes. A bacterial problem would have either gotten worse or better on its own since Friday when you first posted.

Flukes can cause cloudy skin, and they can also cause secondary bacterial infections.
Jay

OP
OP
P

Poisns1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, no. The medications are different for the two issues. Any change in the fish's condition? If it is about the same, I'd say the issues is more likely to be flukes. A bacterial problem would have either gotten worse or better on its own since Friday when you first posted.

Flukes can cause cloudy skin, and they can also cause secondary bacterial infections.
Jay
Thanks Jay. Order the Prazi and initial dose went in yesterday. As suggested, left skimmer on but took cup off. Skimmer going nuts and tons of micro bubbles in tank.

Will the bubbles subside after several days? I have set a reminder to do a 2nd dose at the 10 day interval. Anything else I need to do right now?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay. Order the Prazi and initial dose went in yesterday. As suggested, left skimmer on but took cup off. Skimmer going nuts and tons of micro bubbles in tank.

Will the bubbles subside after several days? I have set a reminder to do a 2nd dose at the 10 day interval. Anything else I need to do right now?
The bubbles will subside, but you can probably turn the air injection on the skimmer down a bit during the treatment. Just observe the fish closely for any changes, then treat the second time in 10 days.
Jay

OP
OP
P

Poisns1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bubbles will subside, but you can probably turn the air injection on the skimmer down a bit during the treatment. Just observe the fish closely for any changes, then treat the second time in 20 days.
Jay
Jay just a couple more ?s please:

1) Do I put the skimmer cup back on at some point prior to the 2nd dose in 20 days?

YOUR QUOTE: What I would do is dose the tank 2x with Prazipro, about 10 days apart.
2) Earlier in the thread you mentioned 2 doses 10 days apart. I'm confused. Do I add 2nd dose in the next 10 days or do I wait for 20 days?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay just a couple more ?s please:

1) Do I put the skimmer cup back on at some point prior to the 2nd dose in 20 days?

YOUR QUOTE: What I would do is dose the tank 2x with Prazipro, about 10 days apart.
2) Earlier in the thread you mentioned 2 doses 10 days apart. I'm confused. Do I add 2nd dose in the next 10 days or do I wait for 20 days?
Darn! I hate typos on my phone! That 20 days should read 10 days - sorry!

one dose, wait ten days (do a 25% water change if you can) dose again, then about 3 days after that, put the skimmer cup back on.

Jay

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Poisns1 WHat was the outcome of the Prazi treatment?
I seem to have the same issue as you did with my 2 royal grammas my wife put in the tank....... (dont worry she wont do that again - I was kinda clear)

OP
OP
P

Poisns1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Jay the Firefish and Gramma are still flashing at Day #9. Is that normal or should the flashing should have ceased by now?

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal If a fish dies because of flukes, does that mean flukes will survive and like attach to another fish? Or how does that work with flukes? My royal gramma scratches more with each day and I do not have much hope…

OP
OP
P

Poisns1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Darn! I hate typos on my phone! That 20 days should read 10 days - sorry!

one dose, wait ten days (do a 25% water change if you can) dose again, then about 3 days after that, put the skimmer cup back on.

Jay
Adding the quote so Jay see's my reply:

Hey Jay the Firefish and Gramma are still flashing at Day #9. Is that normal or should the flashing should have ceased by now?

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 160 61.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 90 34.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.5%
Back