Help with Salifert KH test pls

fr3n0z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, i have a very big discrepancies between Salifer and JBL test (11.8 salifert and 8 dkh jbl)

The salifert test, start green, then change to blue, then purplish and finally pink.

At wich color i must stop?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, i have a very big discrepancies between Salifer and JBL test (11.8 salifert and 8 dkh jbl)

The salifert test, start green, then change to blue, then purplish and finally pink.

At wich color i must stop?
Pink. Check out this video

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thx man, so i was reading it right. Now i am a bit worried since KH is so high and so different from JBL
One of the best pieces of advise I ever got in reefing.....

Pick a test, and stick to it.

Every test kit out there will give you varying results from each other(usually due to the margin of error in the test).

OP
OP
fr3n0z

fr3n0z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the best pieces of advise I ever got in reefing.....

Pick a test, and stick to it.

Every test kit out there will give you varying results from each other(usually due to the margin of error in the test).
that is what i am worried about, i was using jbl till now...but 8dkh to 11dkh is too big of a margin to just dont care about it

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never used a JBL test kit, but salifert has been around for many years, and is the gold standard of test kits. I would tend to believe it over any other.

When I have doubt, I run several tests back to back, and compare the results. After several tests, you can most times see where the discrepancy is.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with pink, and I'm another Salifert user that hasn't used a JBL kit.

The video is decent. I'm not sure why he is so concerned about the .85 line. You shouldn't be looking there. The plunger needs to be at 1.0. The difference between where the plunger starts at 1.0 and where it ends is the volume of acid delivered, and that is the only thing that matters in the calculation. Make sure you start at 1.0, and you are reading where the plunger is when you stop. Don't look at the liquid level or the air bubble.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tests give different results. I find that Salifert ALK tends to read about 2/3 DKH high compared to other tests. Your result for JBL sounds out of range and badly so. Given your Salifert results, I would think your DKH would come in at least 11 for Red Sea Pro and Hanna. Being 3 DKH low is a bit much for the JBL.

OP
OP
fr3n0z

fr3n0z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tests give different results. I find that Salifert ALK tends to read about 2/3 DKH high compared to other tests. Your result for JBL sounds out of range and badly so. Given your Salifert results, I would think your DKH would come in at least 11 for Red Sea Pro and Hanna. Being 3 DKH low is a bit much for the JBL.
i've bought a tropic marin test to see what it say...hope it will be similar to one of the other 2.

OP
OP
fr3n0z

fr3n0z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
even more puzzled. I've prepared a standard 8.1dkh solution following a recipe found here with pharma grade NaHCO3...JBL was spot on 8 and salifert (going lavender and not pink) is at 9.8 :( ...the fact that the solution was done with deionised water and not saltwater coul influence the test?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back