Help with suspected Sigalionidae worms in acanthophyllia skeleton

HarryC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This Acanthophyllia the newest piece in my tank. I noticed about a week ago it wasn't opening fully after seeming happy for 6 weeks in my tank. Shortly after discovered these white worm burrowing into the skeleton. Dipping other Acanthophyllia in my tank yields no white worms (have had the others for 6+ months very healthy imo.) I don't have a quarantine for corals, but do dip in coral RX, Bayer, and Iodide. I've dipped the problem specimen daily for the past 5 days and still find these worms daily, but only on this coral. They create a sand tunnel around the skeleton that houses them as well as burrowing into the skeleton. I'll attempt to have my wife video when I dip tomorrow to show the sand tunnel structure and also the holes with worms exiting after the dip. Any help greatly apppreciated! My Acanthophyllia are my favorite corals would hate to watch them decline.
Screenshot_20191203-171834_Video Player.jpg
Screenshot_20191205-201749_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
HarryC

HarryC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More relevant info : I dip for 10-15 min in each of the products mentioned in my previous post. Rinse in tank water. I've only been at this a year so I'm not entirely confident in my method. I was told by my reefing mentor the Bayer would kill all bugs/worms.

OP
OP
HarryC

HarryC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20191126_095406.jpg
current picture of affected coral. Front piece in this shot. No evidence of worms on any other acanthophyllia in my tank.

OP
OP
HarryC

HarryC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure what's happening is worms remain in my sandbed/rock work and so the dipping is only removing the small population within the coral skeleton. My problem is I haven't been able to find any info on these worms besides this tiny paragraph screen shotted up top and some scholarly papers that I've read 20+ times and cant make any sense of. If someone could just chime in and tell me to RIP the tank apart or stop worrying and they're ok worms to have. I feel at this point dipping this single coral isn't doing anything but stressing it out more. All my LPS are growing happily and I cant seem to find evidence of damage on any other coral skeletons.

OP
OP
HarryC

HarryC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope so lol I had some pretty terrifying dreams last night about these things coming out of my eyes.

Holy_makerel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If nothing else maybe making a platform to keep it from sitting in the sand until it recovers? That way it would be more difficult to get re-infested by the worms

OP
OP
HarryC

HarryC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is an excellent idea. My pink streaked wrasse loves eating my regular bristle worms so I'm sure him having access to the bottom would help out as well.

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look like Perinereis sp. Bristle worm.

OP
OP
HarryC

HarryC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@KJ I'm not able to find any info on a perinereis sp. bristle worm. Do you possibly have any links?

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@KJ I'm not able to find any info on a perinereis sp. bristle worm. Do you possibly have any links?
I'm only found photos no much info .

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back