Help with tank options

Adrianna

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I'm just starting my research about getting my first saltwater tank and I need some help finding a good company that sells good tanks. I'm looking for AIO or reef-ready tanks. Can I get suggestions on what brands you guys like?

OP
OP
Adrianna

Adrianna

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size do you have in mind? Also classic AIO or peninsula?
Well I would like to get a bigger sized tank so the fish I get can grow into it and I don't have to get a bigger one down the road.

I have no idea what the difference is between a classic AIO or peninsula hahah

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I would like to get a bigger sized tank so the fish I get can grow into it and I don't have to get a bigger one down the road.

I have no idea what the difference is between a classic AIO or peninsula hahah
The classic shapes are usually boxed shaped 16x16 or 24x24 and so on. A peninsula would be longer front to back than it is wider so something like a 24x16 where the filtration is located at one end of that 24in run.

OP
OP
Adrianna

Adrianna

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The classic shapes are usually boxed shaped 16x16 or 24x24 and so on. A peninsula would be longer front to back than it is wider so something like a 24x16 where the filtration is located at one end of that 24in run.
Oh okay, a classic shape, but I am wanting a rectangle shape with the filtration on the back end of the tank.

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the exact same boat! Looking for something bigger than 150g, at least 72” long. I at first wanted PNP (plug and play, all plumbing included), now I’m leaning towards wanting to upgrade the sump and plumb myself. The list:

Redsea 3X 900
Water box 220
Plant Aquarium Crystaline
Nuvo 200 INT
Prostar Rimless 230
CadLight 178g Artisian
CADE PR 1800 series 2

All have pros and cons. We can discuss further in this thread, or you can research (tons of fun).

OP
OP
Adrianna

Adrianna

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the exact same boat! Looking for something bigger than 150g, at least 72” long. I at first wanted PNP (plug and play, all plumbing included), now I’m leaning towards wanting to upgrade the sump and plumb myself. The list:

Redsea 3X 900
Water box 220
Plant Aquarium Crystaline
Nuvo 200 INT
Prostar Rimless 230
CadLight 178g Artisian
CADE PR 1800 series 2

All have pros and cons. We can discuss further in this thread, or you can research (tons of fun).
Thanks for the options. I'm looking for a tank that is around 150, but I'm so new to this that I have no idea what all the stuff does fully. I'm in my last month of nursing school, so I mostly need to focus on studying for that Then I can fully dive into building my tank.

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want PNP then (opposed to plumbing anything). Some have pre built stands (so you don’t have to do that, and maybe more sturdy?). Redsea and Waterbox easy plumbing setup but you have to build the stands. Planet has built stands, but you need to plumb. Pro star have a very nice series (I like their pre built stands), and the tanks are nice too. They are the top runner in the list currently. But I flip flop a lot.

OP
OP
Adrianna

Adrianna

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want PNP then (opposed to plumbing anything). Some have pre built stands (so you don’t have to do that, and maybe more sturdy?). Redsea and Waterbox easy plumbing setup but you have to build the stands. Planet has built stands, but you need to plumb. Pro star have a very nice series (I like their pre built stands), and the tanks are nice too. They are the top runner in the list currently. But I flip flop a lot.
Thanks for that advice!

MFear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you end up going with? I'm considering Red Sea 750xxl, Waterbox 220 or Planet Aquarium Crystaline 72...

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you end up going with? I'm considering Red Sea 750xxl, Waterbox 220 or Planet Aquarium Crystaline 72...
All 3 of those are good choices and to quote someone else: you’ll be happy with any of those.

With that said, I went with GlassCages. I bought a sump separately and will plumb myself (first time, yikes).!

But going this way I have a lot more options (tank dimensions, filtration, etc). Good luck and congratulations and have fun on the journey ahead!

MFear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All 3 of those are good choices and to quote someone else: you’ll be happy with any of those.

With that said, I went with GlassCages. I bought a sump separately and will plumb myself (first time, yikes).!

But going this way I have a lot more options (tank dimensions, filtration, etc). Good luck and congratulations and have fun on the journey ahead!
same to you! I'd love to see pics if you've got them

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
same to you! I'd love to see pics if you've got them
Tank is shipping this week! Was about 6 weeks from start to finish. And I changed little details a lot through the process. The fact that I was in contact with manufacturer constantly was awesome! GlassCages make all tanks per build (no tanks sitting around, it’s made just for you!).

FE592374-D1B3-4F1D-9E01-390B1EE41E25.jpeg 85430B2F-C502-49FD-8AA6-1DA6CA81E9EF.jpeg 98D1D543-F949-4FC4-9104-5E5A197D8DBF.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back