Help with true percula clown, tail fin issue

dtdream

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, please see photos attached.

I’ve had a pair of clowns for 2 weeks as of today. One of them doesn’t seem to have any issues at all. One of them is having a tail issue. Looks like fin rot or some sort of bacterial infection but I’m not sure. It’s only affecting the tail fin, other fins seem fine. No rapid breathing and still eating. It started about 3-4 days ago as a little white smudge, but has deteriorated in the 3-4 days, as per photos.

Tested water parameters and they seems to be ok. Ammonia 0, nitrate less than 2.

Can anybody advise what it is, and what I should do? Thank you

050933A6-CD9E-4E70-9DB5-DA5AF12D8E7E.jpeg 9B58724E-8298-4E82-B8C0-5123D93407D2.jpeg 1FEF9107-AF86-4BCD-8704-5B4E8C0F864D.jpeg D036A027-F360-4EBB-BB21-0974F10F8BE4.jpeg 87D3A711-971A-456C-9B72-ACEF3D1BBE79.jpeg 2550CA5F-A37E-4056-B9A5-41D79B7DCEFF.jpeg 225533D6-3019-4EF7-8EBD-FD5BBDFC2C75.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I hear of tail issues with clownfish, I immediately suspect damage from another clown. However, that doesn't seem to be the case here. I suspect it is a bacterial infection (or more rarely, fungal). Do you have the ability to set up a treatment tank for it? If not, I see it is a isolation tank, perhaps you can rig some sort of dip treatment for it.

You should consider using a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic. What do you have available locally like that?

jay

OP
OP
dtdream

dtdream

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I hear of tail issues with clownfish, I immediately suspect damage from another clown. However, that doesn't seem to be the case here. I suspect it is a bacterial infection (or more rarely, fungal). Do you have the ability to set up a treatment tank for it? If not, I see it is a isolation tank, perhaps you can rig some sort of dip treatment for it.

You should consider using a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic. What do you have available locally like that?

jay
Hi Jay,

Thanks for your response. Yes it is currently in an isolation tank within the DT, and unfortunately I do not have the option of setting up a separate treatment tank for it.

I'm not too familiar with the different antibiotics, but I do have access to the major brands. eg. API/Seachem. I did a little googling for "gram negative antibiotic" and "furan-2" pops up. Would that work? How long/often should I dip the fish in it if so?

Please feel free to suggest any other more appropriate antibiotic options within the API brand (eg.Neoplex,Kanaplex), or any other brand(s) if you think it will work better.

Thank you!

dyno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use Furan 2 it works best in my experience. It is very safe so set up a container/tank put a gallon or two in and make sure the water is aerated. Put the fish in for a few hours every couple days until the problem is gone.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to dose Furan-2 a bit higher as a dip as opposed to a 24 hour bath like you would in a quarantine tank. Each packet of API Furan-2 contains 85 mg of Nitrofurazone. My references (in Noga 2010) gives 38 mg/gallon (so about half a packet) for 6 to 10 hours. Be sure to use a heater and good aeration if you dip for 6 hours, and change the dip water every day.

Jay

OP
OP
dtdream

dtdream

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

Ok thanks for the advice, will try to dip the fish for at least 6 hours every day with furan 2 at a slightly higher dose.

Btw, do you think this is infectious? Or just a case of weak immunity on this fish? I do have another clown in the tank and it seems fine for now.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

Ok thanks for the advice, will try to dip the fish for at least 6 hours every day with furan 2 at a slightly higher dose.

Btw, do you think this is infectious? Or just a case of weak immunity on this fish? I do have another clown in the tank and it seems fine for now.
It is unlikely to be infectious, it looks pretty localized.
Jay

OP
OP
dtdream

dtdream

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys!

Just thought I'd update and thank you guys for helping. The furan-2 dips worked and the clown is growing it's fin back slowly.

I did 6 hour dips as per your recommended dose for 5 days, and just left it alone in the isolation tank (in my main tank) after that to monitor.

It got worse before it got better though, so posting a pic here as well at it's "worst".

22 May:
worse.jpg

Tail growing back (today, 8 June):
b1.jpg b2.jpg

Again, thanks so much for your help!! @dyno @Jay Hemdal

Might be having another slight issue with my other clown, will start a different thread.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 24 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.7%
Back