Help with using 80/20 aluminum to build a light rack

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I'm trying to build a very simple rim-mounted light rack for my 3 primes and 2 lumi light pro strips using a combination of 80/20 alluminum bars + reusing some of my existing mounts. I want to keep it simple and use as few bars as possible to minimize the weight on the tank rims. This is the first time i'm working with 80/20 and based on the youtube videos it looks like depending on what you want to attach to what and how you want to attach it, there's a different 80/20 "connector" gadget and it quite frankly i'm a bit overwhelmed by it. I'm not looking to do anythign fancy so just want some input from people with more experience on the below plan.

1) The basic rack with be an elongated "H" like the diagram below. This part i figured is pretty easy - just 3 bars measured to length, and connect it with end fasters. (the letters i'll explain later).

Question: the access hole i will need to drill myself right? they are not "predrilled" at the end of the bars right?
20210521_220339.jpg

2) attaching the mount and light - this is where i'm looking for some input:

the "A"s is where i want to attach the Lumi Lite Pro - i have those "L" shaped metal brackets and want to attach them to the bottom of the bar. Can i just attach it with a hex bolt + washer and slide it directly in the bar slots (or drill a hole and make the bolt go all the way thru)? or do i need some special 80/20 connector gadget?

the "B" is where i pan to attach it to the "bottom" half of the AI prime mounting brackets that I already have and plan to reuse. (These). Same question, can attach it with hex bolt_ washer the same way for A, or does it also need a special 80/20 gadget. .

Basically like this:

SmartSelect_20210521-220319_Gallery.jpg

As for "C", i plan to attach the AI Primes with hang kits. Can i just attach the anchor bolt directly to the middle bar?

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any attachment to the bar you should consider using T nuts. They slip into the t slot and allows you to move it the length of the bar. Just get the appropriate sized screws to screw into the t nuts. Typically M5.
I’d connect the bars using the 80/20 L brackets. No drilling needed.

OP
OP
D

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
consider wall mounting for a cleaner look

IMG_20210417_135752.jpg
IMG_20210419_203144.jpg
Thank you, my tank is peninsula and I have dry walls, I considered that way but don't think it will be secure enough given the length. I also thought about doing it ReefBum's way but that just seems like too much work bc I'd have to first drain and move the tank cabinet to access the back side in order to bolt the bar into the cabinet
Any attachment to the bar you should consider using T nuts. They slip into the t slot and allows you to move it the length of the bar. Just get the appropriate sized screws to screw into the t nuts. Typically M5.
I’d connect the bars using the 80/20 L brackets. No drilling needed.
Thank you, will look for the t nut+ l bracket

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, my tank is peninsula and I have dry walls, I considered that way but don't think it will be secure enough given the length. I also thought about doing it ReefBum's way but that just seems like too much work bc I'd have to first drain and move the tank cabinet to access the back side in order to bolt the bar into the cabinet

Thank you, will look for the t nut+ l bracket
Amazon’s got them.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back