Help with Vibrant

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about to use the product Vibrant in my 65g reef tank. I do have a bad case of turf algae, light bubble algae, and bryopsis growing back after 20 days of treatment w/ Reef Flux HD. I am aware that the bryopsis I have is the 60 day treatment kind(the worst kind). There is a mild case of cyanobacteria from the bryopsis die off.
My nitrates are at 5ppm.
I have the understanding the dosage of the product is once every week 6.5ml for now. I have also been told for bad cases. Do it 2x a week.
My questions are as followed.
Should I just only dose once or twice a week?
Which algaes will be affected by the product out the 3 that I currently have?
Do I need to lift my protein skimmer cup? (all chemical media's are already out)
Is it better to put 6.5ml of vibrant in a cup of tank water, shut off the pumps for 10 minutes, and "target feed" the algae with the product?
Am I allowed to do water changes while using the product or am I to wait till the algaes that I am trying to kill off are completely eradicated?

My tank is really being over run by this turf algae. I am looking for experiences or remedies for it incase the Vibrant has no affect on it.

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant is not a medication to kill anything. As I understand, it’s basically some sort of beneficial bacteria designed to consume algae. I understand that it consumes nutrients (and oxygen) so stuff won’t grow. Personally, I’ve never seen anything beneficial when I’ve used it. Other people swear by it. Someone will come along that knows more than me......

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I DID IT TWICE PER WEEK (every 4 days) and lowered my white light intensity and. . .. ALL Gone.

OP
OP
40B Knasty

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To the people that have used it. Please tell me what algaes it has removed from your tank.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

NemHost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About a year and a half ago or so, my tank was covered in bubble algae and also had some gha. I dosed once a week at about 1ml per 10 gallon. It took about 7 weeks for it to make a noticeable difference (algae started looking pale and slowly dissolved/disappeared) and after three additional week all algae was gone. I stopped dosing after 11 weeks and algae never came back.
I didn’t stop skimming or remove carbon and also continued doing water changes. I had no bad side effects from using this product but know people who claimed they lost some corals from this treatment.
I’d tell you to watch alk, cal and mag very closely. While I was using this product, my tank was taking up a lot less of these elements.
It worked for me so I recommend it to people but only as a last resort and of course use it with caution and be aware of the risks.

OP
OP
40B Knasty

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About a year and a half ago or so, my tank was covered in bubble algae and also had some gha. I dosed once a week at about 1ml per 10 gallon. It took about 7 weeks for it to make a noticeable difference (algae started looking pale and slowly dissolved/disappeared) and after three additional week all algae was gone. I stopped dosing after 11 weeks and algae never came back.
I didn’t stop skimming or remove carbon and also continued doing water changes. I had no bad side effects from using this product but know people who claimed they lost some corals from this treatment.
I’d tell you to watch alk, cal and mag very closely. While I was using this product, my tank was taking up a lot less of these elements.
It worked for me so I recommend it to people but only as a last resort and of course use it with caution and be aware of the risks.
This is a last resort. Turf is really bad and I can't keep up with it. I scrub it off the rocks in used tank water while doing water changes of 30g and the algae grows back in a week.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why not just replicate what removes turf algae using turf algae correction threads, vs adding items to the water

I vote strongly its not likely to work. if you want it gone, its the typical tank surgery everyone avoids.

turf algae isn't very hard to fix with direct action, as an invader goes. Larger tanks may make it hard to win/access, but biologically its really receptive to direct treatments, we show.

we take one test rock. do an action to it, prove it will kill the turf algae, then upscale to the rest of the tank only after proofing. not any other method works like that... its all a big tank experiment using the nonsurgical means.

vibrant is more experimenting vs replicating the closure from the turf algae threads. each additive used is killing one target, then leaving the system ripe for another vs the direct manual control option, its the best way for the persistent troubles for sure.

Last edited:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about to use the product Vibrant in my 65g reef tank. I do have a bad case of turf algae, light bubble algae, and bryopsis growing back after 20 days of treatment w/ Reef Flux HD. I am aware that the bryopsis I have is the 60 day treatment kind(the worst kind). There is a mild case of cyanobacteria from the bryopsis die off.
My nitrates are at 5ppm.
I have the understanding the dosage of the product is once every week 6.5ml for now. I have also been told for bad cases. Do it 2x a week.
My questions are as followed.
Should I just only dose once or twice a week?
Which algaes will be affected by the product out the 3 that I currently have?
Do I need to lift my protein skimmer cup? (all chemical media's are already out)
Is it better to put 6.5ml of vibrant in a cup of tank water, shut off the pumps for 10 minutes, and "target feed" the algae with the product?
Am I allowed to do water changes while using the product or am I to wait till the algaes that I am trying to kill off are completely eradicated?

My tank is really being over run by this turf algae. I am looking for experiences or remedies for it incase the Vibrant has no affect on it.
I would start with once a week for at least a month or two. You can get faster results by dosing more often, earlier, but it is hard to keep the system stable if you do it that way.

OP
OP
40B Knasty

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why not just replicate what removes turf algae using turf algae correction threads, vs adding items to the water. I vote strongly its not likely to work. if you want it gone, its the typical tank surgery everyone avoids.

turf algae isn't very hard to fix with direct action, as an invader goes. Larger tanks may make it hard to win/access, but biologically its really receptive to direct treatments, we show.

we take one test rock. do an action to it, prove it will kill the turf algae, then upscale to the rest of the tank only after proofing. not any other method works like that... its all a big tank experiment using the nonsurgical means.

vibrant is more experimenting vs replicating the closure from the turf algae threads. each additive used is killing one target, then leaving the system ripe for another vs the direct manual control option, its the best way for the persistent troubles for sure.
Reason for the use is, because I also have bryopsis and bubble algae. I will do some videos on it. Then post weekly results.

OP
OP
40B Knasty

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start with once a week for at least a month or two. You can get faster results by dosing more often, earlier, but it is hard to keep the system stable if you do it that way.
I agree. I am not looking for instant gratification from the product. A slow loss seems the more stable route. These are the type of things I want to hear from everybody. Thank you for your suggestions everyone.
I did just see a thread from the company on R2R. They did say turf can take up to 6-20 doses for turf. 8-30 for bryopsis. If it takes that long. Then so be it. The way I look at it now is. I have done my best. If it continues to grow and choke out my corals. Then there is no harm in trying it since they will end up dead anyways.

ThatFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. I am not looking for instant gratification from the product. A slow loss seems the more stable route. These are the type of things I want to hear from everybody. Thank you for your suggestions everyone.
I did just see a thread from the company on R2R. They did say turf can take up to 6-20 doses for turf. 8-30 for bryopsis. If it takes that long. Then so be it. The way I look at it now is. I have done my best. If it continues to grow and choke out my corals. Then there is no harm in trying it since they will end up dead anyways.
Some pictures would probably help too tbh. Just so we can see what you are dealing with.

Back