Help with zebra moray QT

Speaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept losing clownfish every 2weeks to a month in my DT. Decided to pull my fish and start over with a qt. I dipped my fish in ruby reef rally and placed them in a qt tank dosing metroplex and copper power. My problem is I have a zebra moray, which I put through a peroxide bath and placed in a seperate holding tank. I am unsure how to treat the eel for ich. I have read humble.fish and I have no source for chloroquin phosphate (vet pretty much blew me off). I contacted my lfs and they said to run it through copper. Thoughts? Also leaving display fallow until Valentine's day.

20201031_135057.jpg

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the look of your rocks and substrate you probably haven't cycled the tank for long enough for such a large animal. Zebra eels have an enormous bioload. How long have you cycled and what fish did u use to do so?

OP
OP
Speaker

Speaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
90% of the rock is over a year old. I bought the tank and rock second hand. I added a few pieces when I set the tank up.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the eel even showing symptoms of ich?

If you dose it with copper, it will likely go off its feed, but they can survive for months with no food if in good condition.

Jay

OP
OP
Speaker

Speaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not showing symptoms but my tangs were after i put them in qt. So chances are the eel is a carrier. I dont want to go through the trouble of qting the fish only to have the eel reinfect them in the dt 2 months from now. I either qt the eel, keep him alone, or find him a new home.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not showing symptoms but my tangs were after i put them in qt. So chances are the eel is a carrier. I dont want to go through the trouble of qting the fish only to have the eel reinfect them in the dt 2 months from now. I either qt the eel, keep him alone, or find him a new home.
Yes - eels are usually resistant to ich, but by virtue of having the possibility of some resting cysts in the tank, you'd need to either QT the eel, or have it lay fallow for 70 to 80 days.

If the eel has been eating well, and is bulked up, it will survive a copper treatment fasting period with no trouble.

Jay

OP
OP
Speaker

Speaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did your eel handle the copper QT? I might have to copper treat mine zebra eel.

I never ended up doing it. I decided to sell him to my LFS a few weeks ago. I wanted less of a bio-load on my main display and I was worried he would wipe out my CuC. I did do a hydrogen peroxide dip on him though per humble fish protocol. Worked great. Eel didn't seem to mind at all. My lfs also advised to run him through copper, so I am sure it will go fine. I would trust Jay he seems to know what he is talking about :).

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 40 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back