Help with Zoa Symptoms and recovery - Pointed Centers

tsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, looking to gain insight towards a symptom i've been monitoring over the past couple of days.

Zoa - Rainbow Infusion
Placement - medium flow, lower lighting (125ish) on t5's
Will have to return with parameters later

Symptoms:
1. Small polyp on left side has closed up, center remains pointed
2. Large polyp on right side has stayed open, skirts retracted, center is pointed

IMG_5396.jpeg

Jvalle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi this is the umbrella syndrome. Most of the time the umbrella syndrome doesn't last too long when the system is well taken care of.
Usually Giving the zoas a bit more water flow and light is all the polyps need to come back to it's natural appearance or perhaps adjusting the temperature. Some people say it’s that the zoas is extracting poop when it does this but no one really knows what causes it. I have over 3000 zoas and have never seen a zoa die from the umbrella syndrome so u should be ok. Thx

OP
OP
tsouth

tsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Jvalle for the confirmation. Now that summer is around, the temperature swing may be taking its toll. I will do my best to adjust accordingly and adapt. Very much appreciated.

Jvalle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No prob anytime . Those rainbow infusions are awesome especially in a mixed colony. Love them

Lazydayz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi this is the umbrella syndrome. Most of the time the umbrella syndrome doesn't last too long when the system is well taken care of.
Usually Giving the zoas a bit more water flow and light is all the polyps need to come back to it's natural appearance or perhaps adjusting the temperature. Some people say it’s that the zoas is extracting poop when it does this but no one really knows what causes it. I have over 3000 zoas and have never seen a zoa die from the umbrella syndrome so u should be ok. Thx
Caught one in the act today thought it was cool since I was reading this.
20200604_110923.jpg

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a couple polyp frag of these, they’re beautiful! Can’t wait to see them grow! Just for reference, mine are in low flow and no idea of the par but are on the sand bed under LEDs. I’ve only had them two weeks tho...

OP
OP
tsouth

tsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps a coincidence, but moving them into a lower light off into the corner of the sand bed has aided in their posture. Par meter on the way!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back