Help! Wrasse doing bad.

missourimud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wrasse is doing bad. laying on his side. In the am he usually stuffs himself in the rock between the sand but looked off today. lethargic. i kept an eye on things and something is wrong. I could reach in and touch him. i moved him to a hospital tank ive snapped some photos and cannot see anything "off". figured i would get this started as i go. Thanks in advance! will be testing params now!
I have been battling procentrum dinos, actually just added a 25w lifeguard uv last night
DBAD0BE5-C9E2-489A-BBFD-756E33EDD769.jpeg
E5DC9514-09A4-414D-8E6E-B90E3B933110.jpeg

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you have the wrasse moved to the hospital tank, make sure you get good oxygen exchange (bubbler, powerhead pointed at surface) and get some quality foods going.

Praziquantel is a good treatment to perform prophylactically as wrasses commonly have internal parasites. Note that it can suppress oxygen and appetite and wrasse can be sensitive to it. I'd focus on O2 and feeding first.

OP
OP
missourimud

missourimud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you! i do have a bubbler going.
he has been in for months

some stats so far
temp 80-81
alk 8.6
po4 .1
no3 5ppm

OP
OP
missourimud

missourimud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my rhomboid is doing the same thing laying lethargic my clowns seem fine and my cardinal is normal.
my kole tang is mia and my firefish usually doesnt show up for a while so ???

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it comes to O2, typically the larger more active fish suffer lethargy first. It sounds like that might be the case if you do not see other signs of disease/toxicity.

OP
OP
missourimud

missourimud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonder if the dinos you nuked with the new UV released some toxins?
is this a thing?? i had been running an aquatop junk uv for about a week or two while determining dinos and type.
I was immediately thinking contaminants from the new uv or pump that's circulating it. but this is a thought

OP
OP
missourimud

missourimud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this has to be a toxin of some sort to mess up 3 healthy fish ive had for months !! My kole tang is swimming upside down and in circles. any ideas???
@Jay Hemdal

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this has to be a toxin of some sort to mess up 3 healthy fish ive had for months !! My kole tang is swimming upside down and in circles. any ideas???
@Jay Hemdal
But you are running carbon and did a 50% water change right?

You can add a poly pad to be extra safe or perform more water changes (unless the toxin originates from your water or the salt mix). If your smaller, less active fish are not affected.. I still lean towards oxygen.

#reefsquad

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal
Does the tank of origin have invertebrates in it? If so, are they fine?
Some dinoflagellates are toxic to fish obviously (red tide). I’ve heard some species can be toxic in aquariums, but none of our reef systems here have them, so I have no firsthand knowledge, sorry!
Jay

Back