Help! Wrasse doing bad.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Point that Nero at the surface, that water is way too still for my liking. Interested to hear if inverts are ok as well.

Water change, GAC and Poly filter on the display they came from. Are you sure of the Prorocentrum ID? It's usually not the most toxic of dinos but does have some toxicity.

You're doing all you can! Fingers crossed!

OP
OP
missourimud

missourimud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
inverts are fine. turbo, ceriths etc.
i had lost a couple acros and a torch over week back but i believe thats from them getting crowded by the dinos, they were newer and had never regained their strength after shipping.

yes pretty sure on the dino id, confirmed on one of those threads. thought it was large cell but upon better scope it was confirmed procentrum

i was thinking a bloom due to the death of dinos??? as sugessted by someone above?

OP
OP
missourimud

missourimud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you dosing anything? Meds/NoPox/supplements/phyto?
i was following moonshiners method but i stopped when dino was confirmed. i did not want to feed dinos.

i dosed mb7 15ml in the am, and waste away pm @ 10ml alternating days. i also bought phyto but have only dosed it 2x@20ml after reading it doesnt help too much with these dinos. all dosing less than 1 week

OP
OP
missourimud

missourimud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we made it thru the night!
my carpenter wrasse and kole tang were laying on their side at lights out breathing very rapidly. the rhomboid wrasse was curled up under the one rock i placed in the hospital tank. It was not looking good.

After pouring through threads the only one i found was eerily like mine, put lifeguard uv in and bam overnight death. was not a good outcome for this person.

With no apparent problems and my inverts doing fine i though it must be in the gills, something must be irritating them. I gave a dose of metro and prepared to be scooping fish out in t he Am.
This morning when i went to check before work the tang was swimming around!
When i got home from work my carpenter is doing likewise, (tang is hiding in the pvc elbow but it did this during observation as well)
Now waiting on the rhomboid!
I also have been running wood stone air pump to keep o2 up

Tank is blacked out with the cardinal and clowns( maybe my firefish ?) trying to put a dent in these dinos
wish me luck

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other person's UV experience wasn't caused by the UV directly, that won't kill fish, but it also won't stop active infections, so that was likely the reason why.
Sounds like things are improving, so of course, that's good. The metro may have helped, but really, it won't work that fast, so keep searching for other reasons things have gotten better (improved aeration?)

Jay

OP
OP
missourimud

missourimud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other person's UV experience wasn't caused by the UV directly, that won't kill fish, but it also won't stop active infections, so that was likely the reason why.
Sounds like things are improving, so of course, that's good. The metro may have helped, but really, it won't work that fast, so keep searching for other reasons things have gotten better (improved aeration?)

Jay
Of course! I was thinking more of a toxic effect from mass kill off of dinos?? or perhaps something in the manufacturing of these lifeguard units that the more sensitive fish react to??
just grasping at straws because of the timing of how this happened and how it was 3 fish, all of whom have been happy/healthy for a good bit.
In any case my uv is still running on the display. I did exchange fresh gac on it just to be safe.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course! I was thinking more of a toxic effect from mass kill off of dinos?? or perhaps something in the manufacturing of these lifeguard units that the more sensitive fish react to??
just grasping at straws because of the timing of how this happened and how it was 3 fish, all of whom have been happy/healthy for a good bit.
In any case my uv is still running on the display. I did exchange fresh gac on it just to be safe.

I've used Lifeguard UV and filters for 35+ years, I don't think their construction materials cause any issues. However, I can't say if killed dinos from the use of UV could release toxins....

The GAC is of course a safe thing to do (aside from possibly causing HLLE in susceptible fish). Water changes are the absolute best way to ensure toxins are being removed.

Jay

OP
OP
missourimud

missourimud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used Lifeguard UV and filters for 35+ years, I don't think their construction materials cause any issues. However, I can't say if killed dinos from the use of UV could release toxins....

The GAC is of course a safe thing to do (aside from possibly causing HLLE in susceptible fish). Water changes are the absolute best way to ensure toxins are being removed.

Jay
thank you for the information, really appreciated

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 39 53.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • None.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.2%
Back