Help, zoa colony turning hard and glassy

Arsenix2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few weeks ago I noticed a few dots of what appeared to be bubble algea in my mixed zoa colony. I figured something would eat it. Now I can only describe what is like the zoas are turning a dark green shiny almost glassy appearance and it is definitely spreading, albiet slowly but it is spreading, probably tripling in size in 2 weeks. Its on another very small spot near by too. Any ideas? Im stumped. 15 other varieties of coral from zoas to sps all doing well.

I will get back to you with full water parameters later when I can test when I get home. Thanks in advance

20201117_210201.jpg 20201117_210212.jpg

OP
OP
Arsenix2001

Arsenix2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way tank is a year old, 38 gallon. Zoas are at about 80-100 par. Parameters usually stable. I have noticed an influx of brown hair algea recently and have upped water changes and cleanings. Again Will post parameters asap

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Assure there are no little bugs or a nudibranch on it
Inspect closely also for little feathery objects which are hydroids which sting and seem to end up in zoas
Give it gentle blasts with a turkey baster and add a little iodine to tank if you have some
Moderate light and water flow is always favorable with zoas
Post a pic also under white lights to assure this is zoas and nor bubble algae

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That’s bubble algae. I’m guessing you currently have high phosphates

OP
OP
Arsenix2001

Arsenix2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would tend to agree with the bubble algea assessment. I could visably see the greenish tinted bubbles under the zoa. Would this kill them off in that area then I assume? If testing confirms this should I be running phosgaurd and keep up the water changes, cleaning?

Should I try and manually remove the bubble algea? If so do you have a recommendation on a tool or method to do this?

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would tend to agree with the bubble algea assessment. I could visably see the greenish tinted bubbles under the zoa. Would this kill them off in that area then I assume? If testing confirms this should I be running phosgaurd and keep up the water changes, cleaning?

Should I try and manually remove the bubble algea? If so do you have a recommendation on a tool or method to do this?
Manually remove as much of the bubble algae as you can, DONT POP THEM! Vibrant worked great for me but emerald crabs are a natural predator of the bubbles. Your tank is too small for a fox face so I think vibrant/emeralds are your best bet :)

OP
OP
Arsenix2001

Arsenix2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great, thank guys, this zoa colony is removable easily. I will remove it and work on it underwater in a tupperware container and try to pick up an emerald crab today! :)

OP
OP
Arsenix2001

Arsenix2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to attach a better picture, there is 100 % sure bubble algea there but the mass of these bubble are almost a silber grey and the webbing of the zoa colony is turning the same color. Would bubble algea infiltration cause this?
20201118_165343.jpg

danschoenherr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bubble algae is a silver grey also.
As you can work on this rock outside of your tank, you can also use a pipette and apply a 50/50 mix of tank water and hydrogen peroxide to the area after manual removal of as much as possible. The zoas will be fine and the hydrogen peroxide will help get the pieces that you missed.
It is hard to tell from the pic if there is something else going on with the zoas also.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 57.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back