Help: Zoa fungus/disease treatment

sil40sx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. Need help identifying these white dots with tiny hair on my zoas. I noticed they haven't been open all the way for the past few days, upon closer inspection, I saw these white dots. They dont appear to be zoa pox (I think), because they are tiny and have hair. I don't know if I start treating with furan, lugol's, bayer dips, or peroxide, because I dont know what they are.

BTW, I have other zoas and they are doing fine. Just these bowsers have this issue. No change on water parameters or temp swings.

I appreciate any help. Thanks!

#zoaexperts

IMG_3292.jpg

Last edited:

ChasenRay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm dealing with the same issue . did you come up with a solution? i have been using Furan2 for 20 mins and reef dip afterwards 15 mins which has iodine in it. It seems to return periodically. I thought it was zoapox at first but it looks like small white dots with little hairs coming out of them covering a colony at a time until i must dip every single colony in my tank at the same time..

spartanomega21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have the same thing. ive tried heavy iodine dips which seem to cut down the numbers but the zoas are pretty messed up from the repeated dips and they just come back

Jayh86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DA97C66C-9FFC-481E-813F-93F91567DE41.jpeg
Is this zoapox. They seem to come out ok when lights come one

danschoenherr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not had any experience with zoapox myself. I feel some people see white specks on their zoas and immediately suspect zoapox, but could be built up detritus or flesh sloughing off. Can't hurt to ask for diagnosis though, though Furan2 sounds like a good dip and the iodine won't hurt either for e recovery dip.
The "tiny hairs" could be Hydroids?? I have them on some frags and have not found a dip that works yet. I have some that are short, and others that are longer, up to an inch. I try to remove with a tweezers or toothbrush. They do really irritate the zoas and if they are long, any adjacent frags. If they are hydroids, I've read that bringing your nutrients down a bit may starve them out. I broadcast feed with a mix of Reef Roids, Coral Frenzy and Reef Chili each week, so I'm not surprised that I have them.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back