Help!

anthonys51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tank has only been running a week Id definitely take it easy on adding anything at the moment. Give it a couple months at least before any coral are introduced. Better to wait longer in most cases. I know its hard, especially when the LFS is telling you to add things. But check out the threads on new builds and see how long these guys that have been doing this for years are waiting. It will be better in the end, I promise.
And welcome to the forum!

Couple months before adding any corals
fb8e8d48452acc5d9d46fbaed71c08a2.jpg

This tank is 4 months old
There is no reason to wait to add corals. Go easy ones first. But even sps can be added to a new tank if you know how to keep the water stable. Stability is the key

But salifert test kits or Hanna. Don't waste your time with API

You need nitrate, phosphate, alkalinity, calcium, magnesium

Test alk, nitrates, phosphates every 3 days
Write down results
Test calcium every 2 weeks
Magnesium every month

Also you need to add rodi fresh water to your tank to adjust for evaporation

OP
OP
Apenagos33

Apenagos33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple months before adding any corals
fb8e8d48452acc5d9d46fbaed71c08a2.jpg

This tank is 4 months old
There is no reason to wait to add corals. Go easy ones first. But even sps can be added to a new tank if you know how to keep the water stable. Stability is the key

But salifert test kits or Hanna. Don't waste your time with API

You need nitrate, phosphate, alkalinity, calcium, magnesium

Test alk, nitrates, phosphates every 3 days
Write down results
Test calcium every 2 weeks
Magnesium every month

Also you need to add rodi fresh water to your tank to adjust for evaporation
Good to know! I shop guy sold me these, are these worth using? What else would you recommend on top of these?

IMG_1646.JPG

Fish Werx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as kits go, take it from me and most that have been doing this for a while. the cheapest kits may help give guidelines, but are not to be trusted exclusively sometimes.
Most serious reefers go with some of these popular kit brands: Salifert, Red Sea (my particular favorite brand) and Hannah (for those with fairly deep pockets). Each has their particular positives and negatives, so do research and ask lots of questions.
IMHO the most useful and necessary kits in the beginning are Ammonia, pH, NO3 (Nitrates) and PO4 (Phosphates). A quality refractometer to measure the salinity level is also really nice to have. But in the very least make sure to have a hydrometer to get some idea of salinity.
As you get further along and start adding corals it will be helpful to keep track of Alkalinity, Calcium (if you start with LPS and SPS corals) and Magnesium.
Im sure someone will remember some stuff I have forgotten! Haha! But this is a good starting point anyway.

anthonys51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never add buffer.

The other 2 can't hurt but wouldn't use them either

I wouldn't dose much in beginning. Your tank won't have much demand When you do go on bulk reef supply web site and get there 2 part dosing

Also API test kits suck

OP
OP
Apenagos33

Apenagos33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as kits go, take it from me and most that have been doing this for a while. the cheapest kits may help give guidelines, but are not to be trusted exclusively sometimes.
Most serious reefers go with some of these popular kit brands: Salifert, Red Sea (my particular favorite brand) and Hannah (for those with fairly deep pockets). Each has their particular positives and negatives, so do research and ask lots of questions.
IMHO the most useful and necessary kits in the beginning are Ammonia, pH, NO3 (Nitrates) and PO4 (Phosphates). A quality refractometer to measure the salinity level is also really nice to have. But in the very least make sure to have a hydrometer to get some idea of salinity.
As you get further along and start adding corals it will be helpful to keep track of Alkalinity, Calcium (if you start with LPS and SPS corals) and Magnesium.
Im sure someone will remember some stuff I have forgotten! Haha! But this is a good starting point anyway.
Awesome thanks for the information!

OP
OP
Apenagos33

Apenagos33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never add buffer.

The other 2 can't hurt but wouldn't use them either

I wouldn't dose much in beginning. Your tank won't have much demand When you do go on bulk reef supply web site and get there 2 part dosing

Also API test kits suck
Good to know lol, wish I came here first before dumping money at the shop

Fish Werx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know! I shop guy sold me these, are these worth using? What else would you recommend on top of these?

IMG_1646.JPG
Ive never used the "Purple Up", but dont worry, coralline algae will grow without it. I have tons, and dont dose anything in particular at all for it. It will absorb calcium and other elements once it takes off, but normal water changes will replenish.

You dont need to use any supplements or buffers at this time in the stage of your tank I wouldnt think? As you add corals in the future you will have to test for levels and figure out what to dose and how much. But that will be a long way down the road most likely.
Regular quality water changes, top off with quality RODI and your system should stay level with what little you have in it I would think.

And, check your pH. As long as it is in a safe range there is no need to buffer at all....

Might be a case of LFS trying to sell some stuff it looks like to me???

Fish Werx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know lol, wish I came here first before dumping money at the shop
Dont sweat it! I still have some "impulse buys" from my first system a couple years ago! I bet we all do! Haha!
We go into this hobby thinking the LFS guys will know tons more than us. Sometimes they do, but I can almost guarantee that if you do your own research first here or even on some trusted websites you will know at least as much. Probably more! LOL!

OP
OP
Apenagos33

Apenagos33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive never used the "Purple Up", but dont worry, coralline algae will grow without it. I have tons, and dont dose anything in particular at all for it. It will absorb calcium and other elements once it takes off, but normal water changes will replenish.

You dont need to use any supplements or buffers at this time in the stage of your tank I wouldnt think? As you add corals in the future you will have to test for levels and figure out what to dose and how much. But that will be a long way down the road most likely.
Regular quality water changes, top off with quality RODI and your system should stay level with what little you have in it I would think.

And, check your pH. As long as it is in a safe range there is no need to buffer at all....

Might be a case of LFS trying to sell some stuff it looks like to me???
Ya that's kinda what I'm thinking too, I'm gonna take a. Real from the local store and let the aquarium settle for awhile. Thanks again!

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I'm going back to the local shop tomorrow. Any recommendations on what I should look for? The aquarium has only Been running for a week but the shop owner was saying the water tested great and too add coral?

Okay, your tank has been only up and running for a week. Most likely it's not cycled yet. Slow down and read this:

http://www.melevsreef.com/cycle

I know everyone here is trying to help you, but you need to educate yourself more on the basics. It's okay, we've all been where your at.

Your LFS store is giving you poor advice and if possible, seek out another saltwater LFS store for advice.

Until you tank has fully cycled, you should consider taking the fish back to the LFS. It use to be a practice back long ago to cycle a tank using fish. But it's considered cruel now because once the nitrogen cycle starts, ammonia is the first thing to show up. It can kill a fish/inverts quickly.

By the way, API test kits are fine to start out with.

Last edited:

anthonys51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One chromis in that size tank won't do any harm. Just feed it every other day first 2 weeks and feed very very very little

There should be plenty of bacteria to keep up with that fish waste Corals don't really make waste and actually help by consuming phosphates and nitrates. So adding green star polyps won't hurt the tank

OP
OP
Apenagos33

Apenagos33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont sweat it! I still have some "impulse buys" from my first system a couple years ago! I bet we all do! Haha!
We go into this hobby thinking the LFS guys will know tons more than us. Sometimes they do, but I can almost guarantee that if you do your own research first here or even on some trusted websites you will know at least as much. Probably more! LOL!
Okay, your tank has been only up and running for a week. Most likely it's not cycled yet. Slow down and read this:

http://www.melevsreef.com/cycle

I know everyone here is trying to help you, but you need to educate yourself more on the basics. It's okay, we've all been where your at.

Your LFS store is giving you poor advice and if possible, seek out another saltwater LFS store for advice.

Until you tank has fully cycled, you should consider taking the fish back to the LFS. It use to be a practice back long ago to cycle a tank using fish. But it's considered cruel now because once the nitrogen cycle starts, ammonia is the first thing to show up. It can kill a fish/inverts quickly.

By the way, API test kits are fine to start out with.
Thank you!

anthonys51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API test kits are not fine to start out with. They give so many false results and are useless at low numbers. You mine as well not test. Try doing an API test 10 times with same water sample see if you get same results

OP
OP
Apenagos33

Apenagos33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API test kits are not fine to start out with. They give so many false results and are useless at low numbers. You mine as well not test. Try doing an API test 10 times with same water sample see if you get same results
I appreciate the info! Is this test kit better?

IMG_1650.PNG

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back