Help!

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API test kits are not fine to start out with. They give so many false results and are useless at low numbers. You mine as well not test. Try doing an API test 10 times with same water sample see if you get same results

I would have to disagree with you. API kits are fine to start out with. Once you get to the stage of keeping hard corals, such as LPS and SPS, then Salifert and Red Sea are better. Op hasn't even gotten out of his cycle yet!

anthonys51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We disagree then. To me I would never buy the worst anything on the market. API is the worst test kit on the market hands down. Your fine most be different than my fine

But yes I will agree the op doesn't have too much need for test alk,calcium, mg since he has no corals

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We disagree then. To me I would never buy the worst anything on the market. API is the worst test kit on the market hands down. Your fine most be different than my fine

But yes I will agree the op doesn't have too much need for test alk,calcium, mg since he has no corals

He hasn't cycled his tank yet. He needs to test for ammonia, nitrite and for nitrate to get through his cycle.

Back to API kits, I still to this day use API for KH because I test every other day to keep my DKH at 8-9. I use API for NO3 weekly to keep it between 5-10 ppm. I also use API for CA. I've tested Salifert against API for all tests and both read the same or very close.

Your mileage may very.

Salifert for Mag and Sr. I don't chase PH, so I don't test for it.

My tank is predominately SPS with multiple acropora colonies, digitatas and montiporas with some LPS - Euphyllia's - candy canes, frog spawns and a few stylophora colonies all thriving, growing, very healthy with excellent polyp extensions and color.

So I guess we agree to disagree.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back