Help

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think flukes would cause the fish to go from perfectly fine to looking like that overnight.

Look at the lines on the side - there are two patches on the fish where the lines are interrupted (but fish does not have junk on it here). This really seems like physical damage to me. Combination of missing and raised scales and slimy patches with some other debris mixed in.

OP
OP
TUSI

TUSI

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't think flukes would cause the fish to go from perfectly fine to looking like that overnight.

Look at the lines on the side - there are two patches on the fish where the lines are interrupted (but fish does not have junk on it here). This really seems like physical damage to me combination of missing and raised scales and slimy patches with some other debris mixed in.
I'm praying you are right cause I'm sick to my stomach

OP
OP
TUSI

TUSI

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
$10,000 in fish in this tank so you can imagine lol how I feel

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flukes can be treated in-tank. PraziPro is reef safe.

I agree though, it looks like something bacterial at play as well. I would do a freshwater dip to start to check for flukes, followed by an acriflavine bath and into QT. If flukes, you'll treat with PraziPro and feed vitamin-selcon soaked foods to see if he can kick the secondary infection. If it gets worse, you'll want the trifecta (Kanaplex+metroplex+furan-2) for at least 10 days, up to 14.

Last edited:

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look more bacterial on the earlie than anything. If you think that one of your fish had flukes in that tank, going ahead and treating everyone in-tank isn't a bad idea. But, I would move this guy out first... since it came on so quickly... and do the dip+bath to get a better idea what you are treating.

OP
OP
TUSI

TUSI

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It does look more bacterial on the earlie than anything. If you think that one of your fish had flukes in that tank, going ahead and treating everyone in-tank isn't a bad idea. But, I would move this guy out first... since it came on so quickly... and do the dip+bath to get a better idea what you are treating.
I'll try to call h him but it's not going to be easy. I have to though

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Myself I would use kanoplex bound with sachem's focus in you frozen along with vitimarn M and C for help the immune systems of the hole tank

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeding kanaplex helps with internal infections, but for external infections it might not be enough.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much agree ... this fellow looks as though he's had some kind of bang-em-up, which can open the door to infection. Treating your display with Prazi-Pro shouldn't hurt, unless you've got feather-dusters in there, or other ornamental worms.

There are some really sharp, terrific people helping you out up there!

~Bruce

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep us updated on how it turns out or if there are any changes. I'm curious to see how this one goes.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to be late to the party, but I only just got off work. My first thought when seeing the picture was that it's sand stuck to his slime coat. If it has started to go away by now, then that's what it is. A freshwater dip is a great idea if you can get him out for it. I'd like to see how much of that comes off with the dip and if anything else comes off. Otherwise, I'd lean towards a bacterial infection, though I'm not totally sure just looking at that one picture. Is it possible to get another picture? One that's as current as possible?

I might have missed it, but is he breathing heavy? Flashing or scratching? Eating well?

OP
OP
TUSI

TUSI

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well I have to say first and foremost is that I always knew how great this community is but you all blew me away how helpful you all are. THANK YOU update the fish is not breathing heavy snd is eating well . All the white stuff fell off except the fin. I am hoping it makes it not cause of the cost of the fish but the fish itself. When I loose s fish I feel I failed . I'm going to see what tomorrow brings and post pics of it.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't seen anything like that. My biggest suspicion is that it's a mucous cocoon gone wrong - did you find it in the morning? Maybe this cucoon had tons of sand in it? A once in a lifetime strange happening?

I pondered this I cannot come up with anything else. I do admit it looks a little like flukes in some areas, a bit like lymph in others, and in other areas like an injury that is infected. You have/had me stumped -- then I thought of the mucous cocoon and remember one of my fairy being wrapped up in some nasty stuff for about half of the day -- that night I followed it to its sleeping hole and I could see how nasty the mucous cocoon it sleeps in was and it looked just the same. This fish got a little out of control the night before, apparently.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have to say first and foremost is that I always knew how great this community is but you all blew me away how helpful you all are. THANK YOU update the fish is not breathing heavy snd is eating well . All the white stuff fell off except the fin. I am hoping it makes it not cause of the cost of the fish but the fish itself. When I loose s fish I feel I failed . I'm going to see what tomorrow brings and post pics of it.

I'm glad most of it is gone! Could certainly have just been a little scrape with excess mucous/debris. Happy to be wrong this time [emoji41]

I didn't even think about the sleep cocoon though. Now that it's been mentioned, I've seen a little "leftover" junk on one of my wrasses before, too. It was alarming at first.

OP
OP
TUSI

TUSI

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IMG_5060.PNG
Update. Fish is much cleaner than yesterday, fin is kind of chewed a little and still some white fungus. Eating fine swimming around but little irritated seems like.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you dose any preventive dosing?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back