Help?

Nick C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i recently purchased a used tank (Check out my build thread!) I'm putting the finishing touches on the Sump. I bought a completely used system Minus Sand, Rock, and my new Sump from BRS.

One thing i noticed, there are 2 temp controlls? Azoo Micro Aquarium Temp controller and a Cobalt Neo-Stat. I'm confused as to why there is two? Would you need 2 for a tank? Or is it that one was perhaps for an ATO? I'm not sure. There are only 2 heaters and from what i have read it's pretty standard to have 2 for the main tank.

There is also a Carbon reactor that has a pump with it that i plan on using. (Should i use this while cycling or wait until i start to add things) There is also an Aqualift pump that i have no idea what he was using it for. I plan on using it for ATO. It's also came with an atuo dosing pump from BRS. I can provide pictures if you need. Should i wait until after the cycle to start using that? What would be the best things to dose for? or does it vary based on what your specific tank needs?

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get some air going, some flow going, some lighting going, and dial in your temperature to begin cycling your tank— using some fish food flakes or another method of adding ammonia. Then sit back as other R2R folks answer you other more specific questions; but a photo or two couldn’t hurt. Best wishes! :)

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is each temperature controller hooked up to just one of the heaters? Is it possible that one is set to come on as temps drop a little and the second is set a degree or two lower and comes on if the first heater is unable to keep the temp up at the desired range?

Say you want 80F as the reef temp. Then heater one comes on if temps drop to 78F. If it's not too cold in the room, that should do the job. But if the room is too cold and the reef temp keeps dropping, then at 76F the second heater kicks in. That's my best guess. But then I live in SW Florida and only need a heater a few days over an entire year... if even that much! :cool:

OP
OP
Nick C

Nick C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is each temperature controller hooked up to just one of the heaters? Is it possible that one is set to come on as temps drop a little and the second is set a degree or two lower and comes on if the first heater is unable to keep the temp up at the desired range?

Say you want 80F as the reef temp. Then heater one comes on if temps drop to 78F. If it's not too cold in the room, that should do the job. But if the room is too cold and the reef temp keeps dropping, then at 76F the second heater kicks in. That's my best guess. But then I live in SW Florida and only need a heater a few days over an entire year... if even that much! :cool:
Ah yes. They each have their own controllers. That makes sense! Thank you kind sir. And that's a good way to set it up!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 10 71.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 14.3%
Back