Help

playah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi my name is Wes i have a 75 gal tank with a 30 gal sump protin skimmer and all what i need just get started with coarl and my question is i have fish in my tank its been up for about 6 months but i cant keep a tang alive had 3. 2 blue and 1 yellow i have checked all lvls are fine am i just this unlucky with the fish ??????? plz help

Jcr's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they have white spots on them? tangs are very prone to ick. Make sure you do your research on them.

OP
OP
P

playah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no white spots on any of them , can you treat the water before you put the fish in for ick also have shrimp in the tank and was told that would help

robert

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might have been just unlucky but the tank is new and tangs get ich easily. If it were me and I had lost a few, I'd go slow adding new fish. Tangs (any fish really) really should be quarantined before adding to your system. Once ich gets into your display - its really tough to get it out - if you really ever do.

Sounds like you've set up a nice system. If you can set up a quarantine tank - do it. If your just dying to add some new fish, I'd get 4 or five more chromis - they're peaceful, tough, do better and look cooler in schools. Plus the added bio-load will help mature your system. Wait a bit before adding anymore tangs.

When I first started up my system and didn't have a quarantine tank, my local LFS would let me pay for my fish and they would treat them and keep them for a two weeks in their quarantine - then I could pick them up and add them to my display fairly confident that they were bringing nothing with them.

Maybe they won't do it - maybe they will. If they're competent and confident in their stock they should. If its petco - well just get the quarantine tank.

Good luck.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always had that problem buying tangs from stores... I finally started picking them up from local reefers taking there tanks down etc and never lost one since... I have had my current little blue hippo for almost 2 years and raised her from the size of a quarter... I think it's just the way there collected does a number on them.... Good luck man...

robert

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never thought of that, but that's really good advice Troylee - one other thing, never buy a fish you haven't seen eat.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 36.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back