OP
OP
Shayriv62

Shayriv62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That aquarium does not have enough live rock to provide any biological filtration at all. You need at least 175 lbs of rock for a tank that size. What other filtration are you running?
Also, where is the tang?
I know I need to get more Live rock for this tank which I will in the near future. For now, I have the bottom of the tank filled with the Caribsea Live Sand. When I first cycled the tank, I used Prime by Seachem and API quick start. I also used Live Ocean Sea water by Imagitarium that Petco sells. I also have an RODI 5 stage system for top offs. The filtration system is the fx6 canister filter and I have a wavemaker installed on the side of the tank.

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For acclimation, I first put the bags of fish into the tank for at least 20 mins. Then I take the bags out and put the fish into the bucket so I can drip acclimate them for another hour before putting them into the tank. No I don’t have a quarantine set up. How does that work is my next question.

Long drip acclimation (unless you have a heater in the the bucket) end up causing temp problems for the fish. Because the water in the bucket after an hour is way colder then the tank. I am not saying this is what happened to your fish, but something to think about.

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I need to get more Live rock for this tank which I will in the near future. For now, I have the bottom of the tank filled with the Caribsea Live Sand. When I first cycled the tank, I used Prime by Seachem and API quick start. I also used Live Ocean Sea water by Imagitarium that Petco sells. I also have an RODI 5 stage system for top offs. The filtration system is the fx6 canister filter and I have a wavemaker installed on the side of the tank.
Ok there’s nothing wrong with the canister filter at all, many people don’t use them but they are great if you clean them every month or two. Definitely add more rock as soon as possible, before other livestock. A good place to check for cheap rock is Craigslist. You can often find people breaking down a tank with rock that has been in there for years. You’ll want to keep the rock in water if you do buy it live to minimize die off as there will be another cycle when you add this. I would dose a little over the recommended amount of prime during this process. After that cycle is finished I’d hold off a few weeks and then try one or two hardier fish(chromis are a great, unaggressive option, just steer clear of damsels) and see how it goes. You have a large tank and healthy fish live for years so just take your time and enjoy the ride :)

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You guys are going to overwhelm her with all of the information being posted. :D

I do agree though...that tank needs a lot more rock before it will become stable.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You dont need or want a canister filter IMO. You just need enough rock and a good protein skimmer to start. Then add a refug.....

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IME with the young tank, you added some crazy biload.

everytime you were feeding you’re causing toxic ammonia spikes.

in an aquarium that is more mature those spike still happen but instead of say 5PPM they’re .5PPM

I sincerely think that was your only mistake here :).

just give it another 6 months and try again.

also add some microbacter or some other good BB now as wel to help give it a boost.

You have a LOT of sand so I would t say you need THAT much more rock, you have like a 2 inch sand bed, that sand has more surface area than rock just scientifically. You could add some rock, but again... that's a LOT of sand lol. how many pounds of sand is it if you don't mind?

you can calculate that against rock, people say 1lb per gal worth of rock, if you have 1lb of sand per gallon you're probably fine. in fact due to surface area on sand being greater i'd say 1/2 per gallon.

Watch this video:

people run these NSA tanks bare bottom and technically have less surface space.

I think it's really just simply is not mature enough.

Read this so you can understand the cycle:

A lot of people misunderstand "cycling" a tank.

They think it's a

Cycle:
1. a series of events that are regularly repeated in the same order.
"the boom and slump periods of a trade cycle"

They dont understand "cycling" a tank refers to completing a proper Nitrification Cycle.

There's no time limit on that, and there's no set guidelines, 1,000,000 to skin a cat, 1,000,000 ways to cycle a tank.

Also realize if you go through a Nitrification cycle for X bioload, you are now providing X amount of Ammonia for X amount of Bacteria, you need to slowly increase that, to support more life.

If you starve the bacteria of ammonia, you can't increase the bacteria levels, simply adding fish slowly increases that, increase it too much, and the bacteria can't keep up, it'll still grow, but it won't handle the ammonia.

you just added them too fast.

Alright im done iwth my essay Good luck.

Last edited:

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Bacteria need space to live. They live in small pores on the rock. Without more rock, there is not enough space for the bacteria to colonize even if you add bacteria to the water. Sand can host only so much bacteria, it is not enough. A good place to start is to have a 1:1 ratio of rocks(lb) to water(gallon).

Edit: The bacteria we add to the water will colonize the rocks and thus building up a healthy population of bacteria.

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say without the above information.

Did you observe them all eating?

Also, that's quite a few fish in a short amount of time. How frequently do you check ammonia levels? Did it go up after adding the most recent additions?
I was asking OP

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
983821AD-F46F-4676-BB89-A68537356583.jpeg
Definitely need more rocks in such a big tank. Add hiding spots for fish and places for algae to grow for your grazers

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a fellow reefing noob, I would recommend watching Bulk Reef Supplies 52 weeks of reefing. Looking through this thread, there are a lot of rookie mistakes here. The series is a really good step by step guide to help avoid a lot of these mistakes, and set you up for long term success. The series can be fouind on YouTube.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Likely chemistry changes. One month barely signifies cycling. Satisfactory water test maybe but allowing something such as a piece of shrimp to break down and get continued results would bring you closer

Bertbreaksnecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with everyone saying not enough rock and beneficial bacteria. This fish were probably stressed from having no places to establish their little territories. It also take monthhss for a take to establish enough bacteria when it has an adequate amount of like rock. I would also take that choc star back as it is going to starve to death in new tank.

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with everyone saying not enough rock and beneficial bacteria. This fish were probably stressed from having no places to establish their little territories. It also take monthhss for a take to establish enough bacteria when it has an adequate amount of like rock. I would also take that choc star back as it is going to starve to death in new tank.
Yeah, that's another really good point.

IDK how much or how well you're observing your tank at night, but you have several territorial fish with no hiding spots.

I completely overlooked that, they could've literally been bullied to death.... it happens

That is another major factor at play we might all be over looking. Saltwater fish differ largely from Freshwater fish in that way IME. normally Freshwater in a big enough tank even without hiding spots can get their space, Saltwater Fish depending on what you have together will still need zones and caves and homes.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back