Help!

alddb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I think I had the flukes.
my panther has been rubbing fins in sand, hanging on top/bottom, and flashing past 3 days.
My dog puffer started rubbing in sand last night.
then my lion did flashing.

so I treated the tank just now with prazipro. Took forever to get here! Local stores don’t carry it. I had to order online.

panther has not moved as of yet from his spot.

The puffer still under the rock since this morning. He was breathing fast at first but now he has slowed down.

but my lion! Just had a heart attack. Not even 5 minutes in, he started swimming crazy, in power heads, gasping for air, upside down.

ran and got a bucket of RODI water, mixed in salt fast, added a air stone and threw the lion in there. He is acting a lot better. Swimming around now without issues.

but what happened? What can I do to treat the lion?

my power heads are all to surface. uV off. Skimmer off. No carbon in sump.

Water is all RODI. Salt at .0124, temp 79. Ammonia zero, nitrites zero, ph at 8.0.
the nitrates with api shows 20-40 (in middle).

I did order a new nitrate test, just waiting for it. So I won’t keeping using api.

but anyone have suggestions or ideas? Or anything?

we are monitoring the puffer and panther and will remove if needed also

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lack of aeration is a common problem after dosing prazipro, but sounds like you covered that issue.
Very often, when fish have heavy fluke infestations, they become anemic when all the flukes fall off at once, leaving hundreds of tiny holes in the fish’s skin, they literally bleed out. Nothing can be done if that happens.
Jay

OP
OP
A

alddb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lack of aeration is a common problem after dosing prazipro, but sounds like you covered that issue.
Very often, when fish have heavy fluke infestations, they become anemic when all the flukes fall off at once, leaving hundreds of tiny holes in the fish’s skin, they literally bleed out. Nothing can be done if that happens.
Jay
The lion is doing perfect right now in the bucket with a air stone. Swimming around. Feel bad it’s a small 5 gallon bucket but he isn’t swimming upside down anymore.
The puffer came out tonight and swam around a little bit. Ate a lil bit of food.
And the panther was swimming a bit tonight also. Still won’t eat but had two goldfish feeders two days ago.
It does seem to be making a difference. Slow but there was a improvement tonight.

when is it safe to put the lion back in tank? 24 hours? 48 hours?
I know in 3 days do a water change. Then repeat in 7 days to kill any eggs. Then another water change.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lion is doing perfect right now in the bucket with a air stone. Swimming around. Feel bad it’s a small 5 gallon bucket but he isn’t swimming upside down anymore.
The puffer came out tonight and swam around a little bit. Ate a lil bit of food.
And the panther was swimming a bit tonight also. Still won’t eat but had two goldfish feeders two days ago.
It does seem to be making a difference. Slow but there was a improvement tonight.

when is it safe to put the lion back in tank? 24 hours? 48 hours?
I know in 3 days do a water change. Then repeat in 7 days to kill any eggs. Then another water change.
I really do not think the prazipro caused any sort of a reaction, I've used prazi on hundreds of species of fish and have only had one bad reaction in all those years. I do think you had a heavy fluke infestation and the prazi drove the flukes off, causing the fish distress.
Prazi breaks down in about 24 hours. You will need to redose as you described, else the flukes will come back.

Jay

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back