Help

Drake29

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested my nitrite on june 11 it was 0.0 . I added 2 clownfish and 3 corals on Saturday. I tested my Nitrit again today and its at 0.5 . What can i do to lower my Nitrit ?

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested my nitrite on june 11 it was 0.0 . I added 2 clownfish and 3 corals on Saturday. I tested my Nitrit again today and its at 0.5 . What can i do to lower my Nitrit ?
Ammonia is the big one, if the fish are doing ok just keep monitoring. you will want to go to your fish store and pick up some seachem prime, if at any point the fish start looking rough you want to dose the prime according the full ammonia dosing instructions listed on the back of the bottle.
Seachem prime binds ammonia as well as nitrite/nitrate and renders it useless. This is not a long term solution, but widely accepted as a short term fix that can be done more than once without any harm to livestock.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever cycle the tank?

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First it is nitrite, not nitrit. Second, if you do in fact have nitrite then your tank isn’t cycled most likely, third, you shouldn’t have fish or coral when your tank is cycling and fourth, no reason to worry about nitrite at all.

I would suggest you read and research on how to properly start a saltwater tank before adding anymore livestock.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You're fine. Check ammonia. Worry if nitrites get over 20? I am re-learning the nitrite fears. As it is different for saltwater vs fresh.

OP
OP
Drake29

Drake29

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're fine. Check ammonia. Worry if nitrites get over 20? I am re-learning the nitrite fears. As it is different for saltwater vs fresh.
My Ammonia is at zero just wondering if i should be worried or anything .

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrite isn't an issue what so ever. You can throw the test away.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anytime you add more fish to a tank, it can cause a mini cycle to catch up to waste production.
Or am I still old school misinformed?
If using mature rock it already contains all of the bacteria needed for the nitrogen cycle.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started it 2 months the cycling process
Toss out the nitrite test. As long as you're at it you can probably toss the ammonia test also.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back