help

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
today i started mixing my rodi water, and when it filled my bucket i poured the water into the tank without adding salt. I forgot i have to add it in the bucket. Can i add the salt later or should i drain the tank? Any other options? could i add salt later on? Please help

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
today i started mixing my rodi water, and when it filled my bucket i poured the water into the tank without adding salt. I forgot i have to add it in the bucket. Can i add the salt later or should i drain the tank? Any other options? could i add salt later on? Please help
No worries. Scoop a large cup of water from tank and add 1/2 cup of salt, shake/stir it WELL and slowly add to sump.
Test salinity and repeat after 2 hours (in 2 hour increments)

OP
OP
Ro Bow

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
s
No worries. Scoop a large cup of water from tank and add 1/2 cup of salt, shake/stir it WELL and slowly add to sump.
so scoop out exactly one cup, mix with 1/2 cup of my salt, and add it to the sump? I dont have a hydrometer currently, is that ok?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
s

so scoop out exactly one cup, mix with 1/2 cup of my salt, and add it to the sump? I dont have a hydrometer currently, is that ok?
You will have to have something to test it with. Add a half cup tonight and Please get yourself a hydrometer ASAP. You definitely need this for success of your tank

OP
OP
Ro Bow

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will have to have something to test it with. Add a half cup tonight and Please get yourself a hydrometer ASAP. You definitely need this for success of your tank
i was going to get one, i forgot to buy one though lol. Until the hyrdrometer arrives, the water will be fine right? It should come in a few days hopefully

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
i was going to get one, i forgot to buy one though lol. Until the hyrdrometer arrives, the water will be fine right? It should come in a few days hopefully
Best bet- Until yours arrives, take a water sample to LFS and ask them to test for you.

OP
OP
Ro Bow

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in the mean time can i fill the tank without salt water, just rodi water to fill the tank with? Then can i add salt? Or should i roughly estimate the salt i would normally add into each bucket, and then add it to the tank?

Spydersweb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If so, don’t mix it in the aquarium. Also how big is the tank? 5 gallons in a 20 gallon is much more than 5 gallons in a 125

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didnt know you could do this - Great solution!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
in the mean time can i fill the tank without salt water, just rodi water to fill the tank with? Then can i add salt? Or should i roughly estimate the salt i would normally add into each bucket, and then add it to the tank?
Most salts require 1/2 - 3/4 of a cup to make a gallon of seawater if this helps. 1.25 cup of salt should fill a 2 gallon pail

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back