HELP

Rachel1105

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20230305_122057.jpg
Hello reefers. I was wondering if anyone could please help me identify this red flowing stuff in my tank. It all the sudden just appeared and I have done so much research and cannot come up with any kind of straight answer. It is growing really fast. I don't want to remove it if it is good for my tank but in the other hand if it is not I want to get it out. Like I said it is growing really fast. Please help

lopez052308

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread should help

OP
OP
Rachel1105

Rachel1105

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for the help. So you are telling me that it is good and I shouldn't remove it or what do I do with it. It all the sudden just appeared and now growing like wild fire.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

HALYMENIA FLORIDANA
redalgae.bmp
An interesting species of Halymenia that is highly variable in color, ranging from bright yellow to red depending on the depth collected. Like all species of Halymenia, it is gelatinous and smooth in texture and is easily torn. This particular species stays rather compact and its blades rounded and irregular similar to species of Ulva. Most Halymenia grow in rather deep locations so do not require much lighting. Specimens are normally collected free floating or attached to coral rubble by a single holdfast. In the aquarium they will seldom attach so they must be anchored or allowed to tumble as free floating specimens. H. Floridana is very palatable and is readily​

OP
OP
Rachel1105

Rachel1105

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the reply. This is growing higher up in my tank so does that mean my lights are bad? Do you know where it comes from? It literally just appeared in my tank. Have not added anything new to the tank for along time so I really don't know where it came from. It is growing really fast.

OP
OP
Rachel1105

Rachel1105

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lopez had asked me if I had a refugium in which I do but if your saying it tears easy how do I move it without damaging it? Is Halymenia good for my tank?

OP
OP
Rachel1105

Rachel1105

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

HALYMENIA FLORIDANA

redalgae.bmp

An interesting species of Halymenia that is highly variable in color, ranging from bright yellow to red depending on the depth collected. Like all species of Halymenia, it is gelatinous and smooth in texture and is easily torn. This particular species stays rather compact and its blades rounded and irregular similar to species of Ulva. Most Halymenia grow in rather deep locations so do not require much lighting. Specimens are normally collected free floating or attached to coral rubble by a single holdfast. In the aquarium they will seldom attach so they must be anchored or allowed to tumble as free floating specimens. H. Floridana is very palatable and is readily​
I am new here so trying to still figure out how to use this site. it is growing rather high in my tank and growing rapidly may I add. Lopez asked if I had a refugium. I do but if you say it tears really easily I don't want to damage it. Is this good for my tank? As I am really not sure how it got in my tank I have not added anything new to my for a long time now. Is it good for the tank or does that mean my water parameters are off? It is very pretty and the color is beautiful but also don't want it to take over and kill off my corals

Tanglover1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new here so trying to still figure out how to use this site. it is growing rather high in my tank and growing rapidly may I add. Lopez asked if I had a refugium. I do but if you say it tears really easily I don't want to damage it. Is this good for my tank? As I am really not sure how it got in my tank I have not added anything new to my for a long time now. Is it good for the tank or does that mean my water parameters are off? It is very pretty and the color is beautiful but also don't want it to take over and kill off my corals
U can remove it from corals. It is a good and beautiful adition for your tank. Tangs eat them. I may be wrong. If I was in your place, I would keep them. It may also disappear after few weeks.

Tanglover1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to keep it and I really don't want it to disappear so do you have any information on water wuality and things like that to help so it does not disappear?
Save it from predators like tang and other herbivores and don't disturb it so much, let it be where it is and provide good water quality. They don't require special light. They live in area with moderate lights. I hv heard Iodine levels influence their growth. They sometime starts to lose bright colour so difficult to maintain for long time

OP
OP
Rachel1105

Rachel1105

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Save it from predators like tang and other herbivores and don't disturb it so much, let it be where it is and provide good water quality. They don't require special light. They live in area with moderate lights.
Thank you so much for your reply. My water quality seems to be good upon testing. Do you know what levels of different testing would be bad for it? And unfortunately I am at a toss up. I currently don't have any tangs as something happened to another of my fish so I was waiting to add anymore to get my tank back in good condition. But what water affects this halymenia to keep from dying

Tanglover1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for your reply. My water quality seems to be good upon testing. Do you know what levels of different testing would be bad for it? And unfortunately I am at a toss up. I currently don't have any tangs as something happened to another of my fish so I was waiting to add anymore to get my tank back in good condition. But what water affects this halymenia to keep from dying
For now, water condition which u hv, only maintain it if it seems happy. As u stated it is growing so nothing to worry. If u see it's colour fading, then u hv to worry

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You worry too much. It’s doing it’s thing without your help. I already linked macro handbook. I suggest you read it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
20230305_122057.jpg
Hello reefers. I was wondering if anyone could please help me identify this red flowing stuff in my tank. It all the sudden just appeared and I have done so much research and cannot come up with any kind of straight answer. It is growing really fast. I don't want to remove it if it is good for my tank but in the other hand if it is not I want to get it out. Like I said it is growing really fast. Please help
Its macro algae and likely Grinnellia and for me desired except I have over 22 tangs and it would not last but seconds. It is harmless and if it becomes a nuisance to the mushrooms, can be cut and replanted if you desire to keep it

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the reply. This is growing higher up in my tank so does that mean my lights are bad? Do you know where it comes from? It literally just appeared in my tank. Have not added anything new to the tank for along time so I really don't know where it came from. It is growing really fast.
Often when I get diver collected live rock, years later stuff grows from rock. This includes macro algae & coral.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it just appeared and seams healthy the parameters of the water are favourable for it to continue growing. .
Maintaining everything exactly as they are could prove to be a little harder in the long run .
keep in mind . Stability is far more importable over anything in this hobby

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back