Helpful tips for anyone starting an AIO reef...

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Give us your best tips for running an all-in-one reef tank! What are some of the things you've found helpful?

Steve089

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
new to the hobby and have a waterbox AIO (cube 20) that I’m still cycling, but things that have been useful so far:

-knowing what aftermarket parts are available for your specific tank and what the most commonly used/recommended parts are (i.e., floss cup to eliminate use of proprietary sized filter sock)

-knowing the equipment that comes with the AIO and seeing if it provides the necessary capabilities of what you’d like to keep...for instance, if return pump is too low of output, might be inclined to upgrade! (then can use stock pump as a spare or for mixing)

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AIO units I feel are awesome for first time reefers, reefers with constraint on size, and reefers looking to stay within that nano range!

That being said, I LOVE my all in one, I am able to run the equipment I need in the back chamber, and still feel like I am getting enough done mechanically to make it a feasible reef!

But why talk about it when I can just show ya a tank tour! Here is my @Innovative Marine all in one 25 lagoon!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
A media basket and a protein skimmer (iceCap K-1 or K2-50)

This guy is Extra Salty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My DIY AIO
A2AC482B-44EA-4589-8572-E86E51E7E6E2.jpeg
2A448374-49EA-4FC0-AC74-5F0C5072A8D8.jpeg

Steph1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reefer, I agree with everything you said. I love nano tanks but for another reason.......
I just love small simple things
This is not having a go at large beutifull majestic tanks, i fully appreciate them. But there is something about a nano tank. I am also very much into the charm of bonsai trees perhaps that's why nano tanks charm me So much. They are also very unforgiving in every sense

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biggest advice: Understand your tanks limitations, especially in the back chambers

The tank upgrades I think are whats best. That being said do your research on what fits and what chambers of the AIO you have can be utilized for different purposes. Certain devices wont fit, so understanding that will help the most.

Also like above mentions, I have a biocube and the InTank media basket and an ATO were the first purchases I made.

sh@rkB@it

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. ATO - this will make your life better, by far

2. Let your system cycle and allow your system to mature, especially if you only use dry rocks. Mix in some wet live rock from fellow reefers or LFS if you can. Biodiversity is very important.

3. Do not allow your nitrates and phosphates to bottom out which can cause dinos. You will go through the ugly stages, just add a cleanup crew and do periodic water changes. Don't over use GFO. Water changes and find the source of your nutrient problem is what you want to focus on.

4. Get quality testing equipment. The big ones are Alk, Ca, NO3, PO4, Mg. Do not chase Ph. Do not try to run an ULNS unless you have a lot of reefing experience. Elevated nutrients is not a bad thing.

5. Avoid quick fixes as much as possible, make a change then test, then wait, repeat. Changes sometimes take days/weeks to show up. Know your system by observing. Avoid chemical fixes.

6. A controller to turn on/off lights, skimmer, equipment. I use an older Reef Keeper, smart wall adapters. I had a use Reef Keeper I had from many years ago because I can't afford a Neptune controller. You don't need anything expensive in the beginning. You may not need any controller at all if your lights have built in timer.

7. Protein Skimmer - Very useful in pulling out organics. I only run mine 3 hours a day. I like to keep my nutrient levels up since having had dinos in the past. Not required but helpful.

8. Use Reef2Reef as your go to source for help. there is so much information in the forums. You will learn so much just by reading. Don't try the first thing you read, allow other forum members to peer review the different opinions and advise.

I am sure there is more but the list above is from my experience the past two years since starting my 20 gallon ATO. It was difficult the first year because I had dinos when my nutrients bottomed out and I was trying everything to fix it and I wasn't very patient in the process. Trial and error and having a plan eventually allowed me to beat the dinos.

Jowieg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AIO units I feel are awesome for first time reefers, reefers with constraint on size, and reefers looking to stay within that nano range!

That being said, I LOVE my all in one, I am able to run the equipment I need in the back chamber, and still feel like I am getting enough done mechanically to make it a feasible reef!

But why talk about it when I can just show ya a tank tour! Here is my @Innovative Marine all in one 25 lagoon!

Thanks for sharing! It was so helpful because I was planning on buying the same type of tank.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Invest in a media caddy or reusable cup in lieu of a filter sock if one was not included.

Always check equipment size before ordering.

Keep it simple whenever possible. Space is at a premium.

Steph1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Invest in one of these. You can control and time your Lights, skimmer and whatever else with your phone app and about 1/10th the cost of a dedicated aquarium controller. This is an Australian shop so should cost you about 28USD

monicalooze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Invest in one of these. You can control and time your Lights, skimmer and whatever else with your phone app and about 1/10th the cost of a dedicated aquarium controller. This is an Australian shop so should cost you about 28USD

In the US, get a Kasa strip.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back