Helpful tips for anyone starting an AIO reef...

Alex Cataldo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well don’t get the bio cube. The stock lights are garbage. Instead of buying that one more fish, invest that money into a Black Box Led off of Amazon or something similar (if you already have it). I also use a refugium on the back side with a light off of Amazon. The system is also bare bottom with tons of flow.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend this Smart Wifi Switch

It does the trick and I am told that is CAN be used with Hydros Controllers. So if you ever want to upgrade your system with a controller you can reuse previous equipment.
In the Uk and I guess in the US this would work too. £14.07 15% Off | AOFO 4-Outlet Universal Power Strip, with 4 USB Charging ports Home/Office Surge Protector with 5.9ft Extension Cord

I have just installed mine. You can read about it in my build tread. Post in thread 'The heater failure build'

HawkeyeDJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Invest in one of these. You can control and time your Lights, skimmer and whatever else with your phone app and about 1/10th the cost of a dedicated aquarium controller. This is an Australian shop so should cost you about 28USD

This requires an Internet connection to turn anything on or off?

eldouble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) Auto Top Off! What a time saver. My open top 40 gal AIO evaps at least half a gal a day in water.
2) Kasa programable power strip for Alexa (or compatible) I can tell it to turn off lights, pumps, ATO, UV, heater... or program it with "scenes". "Alexa, turn on "water change" and it turns off the pumps, ATO, and heater at once. "Alexa, turn on "water change completed" and it turns them back on... plus other functions like automatically turning on/off lights at preset times.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) Auto Top Off! What a time saver. My open top 40 gal AIO evaps at least half a gal a day in water.
2) Kasa programable power strip for Alexa (or compatible) I can tell it to turn off lights, pumps, ATO, UV, heater... or program it with "scenes". "Alexa, turn on "water change" and it turns off the pumps, ATO, and heater at once. "Alexa, turn on "water change completed" and it turns them back on... plus other functions like automatically turning on/off lights at preset times.
Works well the only thing I wouldn’t do with it is dosing

Dav2996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top 5 tips
1. Water changes
2. Water changes
3. Water changes
4. Water changes
5. Water changes
I get away with 3 month changes currently. I am growing SPS as well. I got a 20 gallon Nuvo. I dose everything that is needed.

FreshCoastReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Invest in one of these. You can control and time your Lights, skimmer and whatever else with your phone app and about 1/10th the cost of a dedicated aquarium controller. This is an Australian shop so should cost you about 28USD
Totally agree, a wifi connected power strip can act like a mini controller. I found one on Amazon that you can set up with timers and schedules. It's been a great addition to my AIO set-up.

BN-LINK Smart Power Strip Compatible with Alexa Google Home, Smart Plug WiFi Outlets Surge Protector with 4 USB 6 Charging Port Multi Plug Extender,15A https://a.co/d/01MpSuZ

Indeva

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just say no to Reef Roids. 1/8 teaspoon target fed once a week and now the back wall grows a head of GHA that would make Elvis proud. Since ditching RR my Hanna PO4 tests are no longer neon orange.

Check for filters in the the bottom between chambers. Mine would clog and send the water over the 2nd chamber and into the 3rd. Essentially the water was skipping over my filter/fuge chamber.

WarChief

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biggest advice: Understand your tanks limitations, especially in the back chambers

The tank upgrades I think are whats best. That being said do your research on what fits and what chambers of the AIO you have can be utilized for different purposes. Certain devices wont fit, so understanding that will help the most.

Also like above mentions, I have a biocube and the InTank media basket and an ATO were the first purchases I made.
I dig the squashed bug. Former 131A Targeting Officer.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get the matching cabinet. Cut a piece of 1/2” minimum Plywood Two to Three Inches larger than the Top. Iron on edging to make the plywood look nice.** Put on Three to Four Coats of Enamel paint, preferably Oil Base. Screw the New top onto the existing top from underneath. This will keep the enviable drips and spills off your cabinet. Also you’ll have a place to set stuff down, when working on the Aquarium. ** An option is to use wood filler for a rounded edge, just takes a bit more work and sanding.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a hidden benefit of AIO's is it forces reefers to KISS to a certain extent. Yes, you can really deck them out with a bunch of nano equipment if you want, but you can be just as successful focusing on the basics like good husbandry and routine.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back