OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the wrasse. Hopefully he pulls through.

one thing that may help in the future when adding a wrasse(s) to a tank that already has some is to use an acclimation box for a few days. This gives you a chance to make sure the existing fish are cool with the new fish coming in. Not a guarantee of success, but will help anyway.

Hopefully your wrasse pulls through. I have had them to where they were laying in their side breathing heavily and had them heal up and live years longer. Good luck.
Thank you. I really should get an acclimation box. That is a great idea. The injured one did end up passing shortly after the attack :(

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Hemmdog ~ I haven’t visited your build since last summer or so. Got lots of catching up to do. How’s everything going with both your tanks? Last I saw, things were beautiful and gulls were eating your bristledorks.
Things are good! 90 is doing zeovit now, it’s going great so far. The 40 I plan to turn into a bta and clown harem. Stop by my build thread more often! How is everything with you?

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Surviving Lubbocks
DC47AAE6-8049-40BD-BE46-01DD1F73D1C2.jpeg

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are good! 90 is doing zeovit now, it’s going great so far. The 40 I plan to turn into a bta and clown harem. Stop by my build thread more often! How is everything with you?
Wow. Zeovit. I have contemplated going that route for the longest time. I started dosing zeobak awhile back out of curiosity. Are you running the whole system?

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. Zeovit. I have contemplated going that route for the longest time. I started dosing zeobak awhile back out of curiosity. Are you running the whole system?
Nicee. I’m doing most of the system except the zeolites and the reactor, my nutrients are still high though, so I’ve been thinking about getting the 1.2L skimz automatic reactor and the crystals. But with the additives alone my growth has exploded, calcium demand has literally doubled since I started, colors are amazing too and getting better by the day.
I dose ZEObak, ZEOstart, Sponge power, Amino Acid concentrate, Coral Vitalizer, FlatwormStop, Coral Snow, Coral Care system (1,2,3,4)(trace elements)

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nicee. I’m doing most of the system except the zeolites and the reactor, my nutrients are still high though, so I’ve been thinking about getting the 1.2L skimz automatic reactor and the crystals. But with the additives alone my growth has exploded, calcium demand has literally doubled since I started, colors are amazing too and getting better by the day.
I dose ZEObak, ZEOstart, Sponge power, Amino Acid concentrate, Coral Vitalizer, FlatwormStop, Coral Snow, Coral Care system (1,2,3,4)(trace elements)

Hhhmmmm... I seem to recall a convo about the reactor. ;Hilarious :p ;Hilarious

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing that you can keep your nutrients up. That’s always the part that scares me. I used to think that high nutrients was bad but I feel way more comfortable with keeping them up higher. Curious about the coral snow. Is that part of the Zeovit system?

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing that you can keep your nutrients up. That’s always the part that scares me. I used to think that high nutrients was bad but I feel way more comfortable with keeping them up higher. Curious about the coral snow. Is that part of the Zeovit system?
Yeah I feed a ton, nutrients are very high right now. A snail clogged my skimmer while I was in Seattle so I’m not sure what the levels will be once everything settles back into its normal swing. Coral snow is awesome, it’s an optional part of the zeo system. It’s basically liquid chalk, but it binds acids, aminos, nutrients to the chalk which then can be eaten by coral, the excess then gets skimmed away leaving your tank remarkably clear. I use it about two hours after lights off usually.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I feed a ton, nutrients are very high right now. A snail clogged my skimmer while I was in Seattle so I’m not sure what the levels will be once everything settles back into its normal swing. Coral snow is awesome, it’s an optional part of the zeo system. It’s basically liquid chalk, but it binds acids, aminos, nutrients to the chalk which then can be eaten by coral, the excess then gets skimmed away leaving your tank remarkably clear. I use it about two hours after lights off usually.
Where’s your NO3 at? Mine usually hovers at almost 50 ;Muted But I have to be honest, it’s not as bad as people make it out to be.

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where’s your NO3 at? Mine usually hovers at almost 50 ;Muted But I have to be honest, it’s not as bad as people make it out to be.
Yep I’m at 50. And phosphate is at 1.0 :eek:
I’m usually at 10 NO3 0.06 PO4

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep I’m at 50. And phosphate is at 1.0 :eek:
I’m usually at 10 NO3 0.06 PO4
I’m shocked. Usually zeovit systems run almost bone dry. Remember when even 10 NO3 was a no no? But I bet your corals are happy. I’m a firm believer in feeding and skimming heavy.

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I really should get an acclimation box. That is a great idea. The injured one did end up passing shortly after the attack :(

So sorry to hear about your wrasse. Always heartbreaking to lose a fish. Glad the other one seems to be settling in though.

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m shocked. Usually zeovit systems run almost bone dry. Remember when even 10 NO3 was a no no? But I bet your corals are happy. I’m a firm believer in feeding and skimming heavy.
Lol yep. Even five nitrate was considered high haha. My coral seems super happy though!
I still have my fuge online but the macro isn’t growing well anymore, maybe the algae is melting and reintroducing some of those locked-up nutrients. It makes no sense how my numbers are this high. The bone dry zeo tanks I assume also are running the crystals and the reactor. Maybe that’s more important that I originally thought.
The zeolites are supposed to directly remove ammonia, so nitrate can’t rise because the ammonia isn’t actually going through the nitrogen cycle. My nutrients were stable at 10 and 0.06 before I started this so I didn’t see a reason to lower them further. The zeo additives and macro algae no longer growing, must be adding tons of nutrients.
I’m not sure what I should do to be honest. Open to opinions. Remove fuge & get zeo reactor, let it ride and monitor, dose more ZEOstart, other options?

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry to hear about your wrasse. Always heartbreaking to lose a fish. Glad the other one seems to be settling in though.
Thank you! The other one does seem to be doing good. The carpenters wrasse is becoming more accepting of a new wrasse in the mix. I’m bummed though that I only have one lubbocks now, I really wanted to have a male and female, maybe I will get an acclimation box and try to get another pre qt’d juvi lubbocks before this one transitions.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back