OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found the cloudiness source I think. I came home from the Sharks vs Vegas game to my tank super cloudy again. Checked my skimmer and it was barely pumping water up. Took it apart. Snails again... so I’m thinking it’s been getting cloudy when snails are clogging the Venturi and it allows the skimmer yuck water to be forced out without being skimmed and working the pump overtime making it heat up. Heat and yuck tend to help bacteria thrive, hence the minor bloom. Makes sense to me. Hopefully I’ll stop having the issue; my acros are looking super stressed from the shift in water quality.

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where the sharks play is fittingly called the shark tank. Bad seats this time but hey.. it’s playoffs
88F558E1-4EE6-44B9-939A-3274EE00A1F6.gif

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw the wild play the sharks earlier this year boo you guys suck for winning! :rolleyes: jk
Lolz. That’s cool you went to a game though! It’s always fun. I use to love the wild when I was younger, sweet team.

12gallonsofhex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found the cloudiness source I think. I came home from the Sharks vs Vegas game to my tank super cloudy again. Checked my skimmer and it was barely pumping water up. Took it apart. Snails again... so I’m thinking it’s been getting cloudy when snails are clogging the Venturi and it allows the skimmer yuck water to be forced out without being skimmed and working the pump overtime making it heat up. Heat and yuck tend to help bacteria thrive, hence the minor bloom. Makes sense to me. Hopefully I’ll stop having the issue; my acros are looking super stressed from the shift in water quality.
I have a bunch of tiny Trochus snails and they get everywhere. One was clogged in the powerhead of my hob skimmer. Glad that you found the problem.

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bunch of tiny Trochus snails and they get everywhere. One was clogged in the powerhead of my hob skimmer. Glad that you found the problem.
They are a nightmare aren’t they! I think this is the 5th or 6th time I’ve had to totally take my skimmer apart in 2 months. That’s pretty frequent... to frequent... Id love to get like a weir guard like return pumps have to put over the Venturi.
I’m sure there’s an issue with that design or it would have been done..
But it would sure save me a lot of headache. If this would of happened over this weekend while I’m out of town I would of been screwed. It would of burnt up the skimmer pump then most likely kill the tank with a massive bacterial bloom&pH drop and no way to clean it up.

12gallonsofhex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are a nightmare aren’t they! I think this is the 5th or 6th time I’ve had to totally take my skimmer apart in 2 months. That’s pretty frequent... to frequent... Id love to get like a weir guard like return pumps have to put over the Venturi.
I’m sure there’s an issue with that design or it would have been done..
But it would sure save me a lot of headache. If this would of happened over this weekend while I’m out of town I would of been screwed. It would of burnt up the skimmer pump then most likely kill the tank with a massive bacterial bloom&pH drop and no way to clean it up.
Yes, they are. I know people say it's a sign of a happy reef tank, but I could do without them. That's an unsettling thing to think about while out of town. Do you have a tank sitter capable of taking apart the skimmer and reassembling it correctly?

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, they are. I know people say it's a sign of a happy reef tank, but I could do without them. That's an unsettling thing to think about while out of town. Do you have a tank sitter capable of taking apart the skimmer and reassembling it correctly?
definitely not :( She has trouble getting mysis out of the blister packs.. lol. That’s about as much as she does.

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, same here. Someone should start a professional tank sitting service.
I totally agree. The logistics are very difficult. It’s hard to find quality aquarists who are willing to do that as their full time job. Even with modest pay, like $100-$200 a day, people don’t want to do it. There’s a giant market that would use that service, just no one to actually do the job. I have been developing an app & website this past year for this service exactly. Its a person to person standard gps based app & website similar to wag or rover(dog walking apps) except for aquarium maintenance, feedings, tank sitting, even plumbing and setting up a new tank if your new. The majority of the workers would be advanced hobbyists looking to make a little extra money and help people with their cool tanks, like people who drive for uber as a side gig, but more perks. I also attempted to incorporate current maintenance companies and they didn’t want anything to do with being on a new website or having to deal with clients in a different way. It seems that in this industry people are stuck in their ways. Once I got into the business phase I was extremely let down trying to hire even hobbyists, people wanted way to much money for even basic services leaving very little profit margin. It’s still a dream of mine and I would love to see it a reality, I would use the service myself without a doubt. The initial launch is also very difficult because I need a massive staff even trying a pilot in the Bay Area. Hopefully I’ll meet some more VC’s who see the need for this service and maybe have some more expertise on how to get a fairly large staff for “make your own hours” work. Just thought I’d share.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally agree. The logistics are very difficult. It’s hard to find quality aquarists who are willing to do that as their full time job. Even with modest pay, like $100-$200 a day, people don’t want to do it. There’s a giant market that would use that service, just no one to actually do the job. I have been developing an app & website this past year for this service exactly. Its a person to person standard gps based app & website similar to wag or rover(dog walking apps) except for aquarium maintenance, feedings, tank sitting, even plumbing and setting up a new tank if your new. The majority of the workers would be advanced hobbyists looking to make a little extra money and help people with their cool tanks, like people who drive for uber as a side gig, but more perks. I also attempted to incorporate current maintenance companies and they didn’t want anything to do with being on a new website or having to deal with clients in a different way. It seems that in this industry people are stuck in their ways. Once I got into the business phase I was extremely let down trying to hire even hobbyists, people wanted way to much money for even basic services leaving very little profit margin. It’s still a dream of mine and I would love to see it a reality, I would use the service myself without a doubt. The initial launch is also very difficult because I need a massive staff even trying a pilot in the Bay Area. Hopefully I’ll meet some more VC’s who see the need for this service and maybe have some more expertise on how to get a fairly large staff for “make your own hours” work. Just thought I’d share.

If you need any help w/ development I have a lot of time available and wouldn't mind taking a look or contributing. That said I have at most (what I would consider) entry level javascript, web and java capabilities.

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you need any help w/ development I have a lot of time available and wouldn't mind taking a look or contributing. That said I have at most (what I would consider) entry level javascript, web and java capabilities.
Sounds good! I’ll keep that in mind! It would be great to have another reefer on the team.

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lolz. That’s cool you went to a game though! It’s always fun. I use to love the wild when I was younger, sweet team.

Now that my Pens are out I’m looking fleury and the VGK to do it. Go to many games a year around the country. Wherever I am visiting I try to get to a game.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back